Bloody knife found at wedding day stabbing scene
HOKENDAUQUA, Pa. - August 14, 2012 (WPVI) -- Police say they've recovered a bloody knife from the apartment where a Pennsylvania woman allegedly stabbed her fiance to death just a few hours before they were to be married.
Na Cola Franklin is behind bars charged with killing husband-to-be Billy Brewster early Saturday morning at their apartment in Whitehall, near Allentown.
The Morning Call of Allentown reports the knife and blood-stained carpeting were among items listed in court documents as recovered from the scene by investigators.
Authorities say Franklin stabbed Brewster in the chest around 2 a.m. Their wedding was scheduled for 10 a.m.
Barbara Obas, the mother of the groom, told WMFZ-TV that one of the happiest days in her life became her darkest.
"We came for a wedding, and we're burying Billy on Thursday morning," she said.
Obas said she didn't even know her son, Billy Brewster, was dead until she arrived at his Olympic Circle apartment for his wedding.
"My [other] son went up and saw the tape," said Obas. "We thought that there was an accident or maybe an intruder had came in."
According to court papers, Franklin got into an argument with her fiancé as he was about to leave to pick up food. That's when relatives told police that Franklin, 31, pulled out a knife and stabbed Brewster, 36, twice.
Authorities have not released a possible motive, but Brewster's mother told WMFZ-TV the fight was over trivial matters.
"The dress and eating sandwiches, and I think she was very nervous that everything wouldn't be perfect. Her hair wasn't right," said Obas. "Just women stuff. It was nothing violent; it was just things that wouldn't have made a bit of difference."
At her arraignment, Franklin sobbed when told her fiance was in fact dead, The Morning Call reported. When asked if she understood the charges, she replied in a halting voice, "I ... did ... not ... kill ... him ... on ... purpose."
Franklin is scheduled for a preliminary hearing the following day, which would have been Brewster's 37th birthday.
homicide, stabbing, weddings, pennsylvania, local/state
- Montco hall closes weeks before bride's wedding
- Clouds to sun, cool today 9 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Driver killed in collision with Taxi Cab in Olney 13 min ago
- Water main break cancels Cheyney U. classes
- Search continues for robbers in armored car heist
- 1 dead, 1 wounded in Crescentville shooting
- Stalkers have QVC host living in fear
- McNabb serves 1-day sentence after DUI arrest
- 13 pound baby born at Delco hospital
- Tour bus catches fire in Galloway Twp.
- Police: NJ mom drives van into river with 3 kids
- WWII vet gets anonymous surprise in Bucks Co.
- Clouds to sun, cool today
9 min ago