Bloody knife found at wedding day stabbing scene
HOKENDAUQUA, Pa. - August 14, 2012 (WPVI) -- Police say they've recovered a bloody knife from the apartment where a Pennsylvania woman allegedly stabbed her fiance to death just a few hours before they were to be married.
Na Cola Franklin is behind bars charged with killing husband-to-be Billy Brewster early Saturday morning at their apartment in Whitehall, near Allentown.
The Morning Call of Allentown reports the knife and blood-stained carpeting were among items listed in court documents as recovered from the scene by investigators.
Authorities say Franklin stabbed Brewster in the chest around 2 a.m. Their wedding was scheduled for 10 a.m.
Barbara Obas, the mother of the groom, told WMFZ-TV that one of the happiest days in her life became her darkest.
"We came for a wedding, and we're burying Billy on Thursday morning," she said.
Obas said she didn't even know her son, Billy Brewster, was dead until she arrived at his Olympic Circle apartment for his wedding.
"My [other] son went up and saw the tape," said Obas. "We thought that there was an accident or maybe an intruder had came in."
According to court papers, Franklin got into an argument with her fiancé as he was about to leave to pick up food. That's when relatives told police that Franklin, 31, pulled out a knife and stabbed Brewster, 36, twice.
Authorities have not released a possible motive, but Brewster's mother told WMFZ-TV the fight was over trivial matters.
"The dress and eating sandwiches, and I think she was very nervous that everything wouldn't be perfect. Her hair wasn't right," said Obas. "Just women stuff. It was nothing violent; it was just things that wouldn't have made a bit of difference."
At her arraignment, Franklin sobbed when told her fiance was in fact dead, The Morning Call reported. When asked if she understood the charges, she replied in a halting voice, "I ... did ... not ... kill ... him ... on ... purpose."
Franklin is scheduled for a preliminary hearing the following day, which would have been Brewster's 37th birthday.
homicide, stabbing, weddings, pennsylvania, local/state
- AG: 29 New Jersey bars swapped top-shelf liquor 39 min ago
- Very unsettled Thursday
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Faith-healing couple charged in son's death
- Names of 16 Okla. tornado victims released
- Video shows assault rifle shooting at strip club
- Skippack student may have 'voluntarily' vanished
- Philadelphia cop accused of ripping off drug dealers 41 min ago
- 1 dead, 2 injured in 'barbaric' London attack
- SEPTA police chief using Twitter to fight crime
- Body of WWII hero returns home after 69 years 15 min ago
- Police ID victim in water ice stand homicide
- Hats get women ejected from KoP Mall