Body of missing swimmer found in Camden Co. quarry
WINSLOW TWP., N.J. - August 16, 2012 (WPVI) -- Crews recovered the body of a swimmer who went missing in a Winslow Township quarry Thursday afternoon.
Winslow Township police and fire departments were called to the Winslow Hot Mix Quarry located on Piney Hollow Road at around 3:00 p.m. for the report of male who was drowning.
The caller provided arriving units with a general location of the 37-year-old victim as well as two of his friends who were at the water's edge.
Officials say the friends tried to rescue the victim, but were unsuccessful.
Upon arrival, police were told the man was swimming with his friends when he went underwater and failed to resurface.
Officers entered the water and attempted to locate the victim.
Several surrounding towns provided assistance in the form of boats and jet skis to assist with the initial search.
A New Jersey State Police helicopter was also brought in for the search.
New Jersey State Police and Malaga Dive Teams located the victim at 6:50 p.m. in approximately 18 feet of water, 60 feet from shore.
The victim's identity is not being released until next of kin is notified.
The property belongs to an asphalt materials and delivery business called Winslow Materials.
new jersey, camden county, missing person, local/state
- Runway littered with holiday mail 15 min ago
- Warmer Weekend 45 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings 19 min ago
- Student robbed at gunpoint inside Philly school 7 min ago
- SEPTA spreads holiday cheer with toy drive 26 min ago
- Carolers to perform to grant cancer patient her wish
- Fmr. Montco GOP chairman to stand trial for rape 9 min ago
- Pa. Turnpike reopens after multi-vehicle crash
- Bishop McDevitt HS student robbed at gunpoint
- Free diner for sale in Lawrence Twp., NJ 38 min ago
- Gov. Christie signs immigrant tuition bill
- Volleyball coach accused of sex with student
- Philippine mayor among 4 killed at Manila airport
- Warmer Weekend
45 min ago