Body of missing swimmer found in Camden Co. quarry
WINSLOW TWP., N.J. - August 16, 2012 (WPVI) -- Crews recovered the body of a swimmer who went missing in a Winslow Township quarry Thursday afternoon.
Winslow Township police and fire departments were called to the Winslow Hot Mix Quarry located on Piney Hollow Road at around 3:00 p.m. for the report of male who was drowning.
The caller provided arriving units with a general location of the 37-year-old victim as well as two of his friends who were at the water's edge.
Officials say the friends tried to rescue the victim, but were unsuccessful.
Upon arrival, police were told the man was swimming with his friends when he went underwater and failed to resurface.
Officers entered the water and attempted to locate the victim.
Several surrounding towns provided assistance in the form of boats and jet skis to assist with the initial search.
A New Jersey State Police helicopter was also brought in for the search.
New Jersey State Police and Malaga Dive Teams located the victim at 6:50 p.m. in approximately 18 feet of water, 60 feet from shore.
The victim's identity is not being released until next of kin is notified.
The property belongs to an asphalt materials and delivery business called Winslow Materials.
new jersey, camden county, missing person, local/state
- Body found in home of Philadelphia attorney
- Clear, Still Breezy Tonight
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Delco girl still awaiting transplant 18-months later
- 1 dead in I-495 crash in Claymont, Delaware
- 7-year-old critically injured in SW Phila. house fire
- NE Phila. couple stabbed at home, son arrested
- Neighbor rescues woman in West Oak Lane fire
- Amber Alert for Pottsville teen canceled
- San Antonio flooding kills 2; hundreds rescued
- French soldier stabbed in throat outside Paris
- Knife-wielding man shot, killed in Oxford Circle
- Start to 1st summer after Sandy at NJ shore