Body of missing swimmer found in Camden Co. quarry
WINSLOW TWP., N.J. - August 16, 2012 (WPVI) -- Crews recovered the body of a swimmer who went missing in a Winslow Township quarry Thursday afternoon.
Winslow Township police and fire departments were called to the Winslow Hot Mix Quarry located on Piney Hollow Road at around 3:00 p.m. for the report of male who was drowning.
The caller provided arriving units with a general location of the 37-year-old victim as well as two of his friends who were at the water's edge.
Officials say the friends tried to rescue the victim, but were unsuccessful.
Upon arrival, police were told the man was swimming with his friends when he went underwater and failed to resurface.
Officers entered the water and attempted to locate the victim.
Several surrounding towns provided assistance in the form of boats and jet skis to assist with the initial search.
A New Jersey State Police helicopter was also brought in for the search.
New Jersey State Police and Malaga Dive Teams located the victim at 6:50 p.m. in approximately 18 feet of water, 60 feet from shore.
The victim's identity is not being released until next of kin is notified.
The property belongs to an asphalt materials and delivery business called Winslow Materials.
new jersey, camden county, missing person, local/state
- Police: NJ mom drives van into river with 3 kids 41 min ago
- Partly sunny, a bit milder today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Photos: Pictures from Del. River minivan plunge
- Delco man missing after leaving medical facility
- Rottweiler puppy poisoned in NJ
- Lehigh University suspends frat in vandalism case
- Evacuation came too late for many on sinking ferry
- Mom sought after daughter, 11, shot and killed
- Chestnut Hill College student found dead
- Voorhees police need help identifying this man
- Video: Parents outraged by faked kidnapping
- Photos: Adorable meerkats befriend photographer
- Police: NJ mom drives van into river with 3...
41 min ago