Police: Homeless man arrested in burglary spree
NORTHEAST PHILADELPHIA - August 17, 2012 (WPVI) -- Police say the man wanted for a number of burglaries in Bucks County and Philadelphia has been arrested.
Daniel Haggard, 44, was arrested on Friday morning by Philadelphia police after he was spotted getting on to a SEPTA bus in the 5200 block of Frankford Avenue.
Police say Haggard is a homeless man with no fixed address.
He was being sought after the most recent burglary, in which 150 packs of cigarettes were stolen from the CVS at 9800 Bustleton Avenue in Philadelphia.
Police say that burglary happened at 4:00 a.m. Haggard then allegedly stole a van at 6:00 a.m., but abandoned it. At 8:00 a.m., he was spotted getting on that SEPTA bus with a bag.
That bag was filled with the stolen cigarettes, investigators allege.
Police said Haggard is a career criminal who didn't care that he was caught on camera, saying he was spotted on surveillance video at a Wawa just prior to breaking into Krewstown Beverage on August 2nd.
Then, on August 5th, he was he was allegedly caught on camera smashing his way into Suds Beer store on the Boulevard in Bensalem.
Also, according to investigators, he was videotaped shirtless while burglarizing a CVS on Neshaminy Boulevard last week. He had a cut on his back, believed to be from smashed glass in a prior break-in.
Another camera snapped a photo of him after the CVS robbery wearing a shirt stating, "Property of Jesus." Each time, he allegedly stole cigarettes - lots of cigarettes- to sell on the street.
Police believe those sales were to support a drug habit.
"He likes to stay close in a certain area and that was one of the reasons he got caught," said Fred Harran, the director of public safety for Bensalem. "He just kept hitting the same area. Somebody would know who he was and that's what happened. We put it all over the news and somebody said, 'I know that guy."
Haggard has an adult record dating back to 1991 when he was 23 years old.
Haggard is currently being held in Philadelphia and will be formally charged with six burglaries.
Police say he may be charged with more crimes as this investigation continues.
northeast philadelphia, philadelphia, burglary, cvs, local/state
- 3 frigid days, another weekend storm
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- Woman killed in Germantown was Villanova prof.
- Limo driver charged in wreck that killed newlyweds
- Possible abduction caught on camera in Spring Garden
- Cab driver carjacked in South Philadelphia
- South Street area restaurants damaged, burglarized 56 min ago
- Pope Francis 'Person of the Year'; popularity surges
- Stranded family found alive in Nevada
- Fake deaf interpreter crashes Mandela memorial
- Photos: Pictures from the winter storm
- Photos: Victoria's Secret Fashion Show 2013 (Photos)