Full appeals court to hear 'boobies' bracelet case
PHILADELPHIA - August 17, 2012 (WPVI) -- A full federal appeals court will weigh an eastern Pennsylvania school district's efforts to ban breast-cancer fundraising bracelets that say "I (heart) boobies!"
A three-judge panel of the 3rd U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals has been considering the case since April. Legal filings now indicate the entire 14-judge court in Philadelphia will hear it.
Two Easton Area Middle School students say their freedom of speech rights were violated when they were suspended for wearing the bracelets in 2010. District officials say the word is vulgar.
A federal judge ruled for the students last year. The district appealed to the three-judge panel.
Attorneys for both sides say the panel's draft opinion must have created enough disagreement to spur the full court to hear the case. No date has been set.
pennsylvania, breast cancer, northampton county, philadelphia, local/state
- Runway reopens after failed takeoff at PHL
- Milder this afternoon, snow possible Monday 46 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Police investigate death of toddler at Del. daycare
- Search for missing jet expands toward Indian Ocean 42 min ago
- Truck overturns on Paoli Pike; 1 injury 54 min ago
- Drunk driving suspected in Center City crash
- Photos: Pictures of Old City building collapse
- 5 arrested after Logan murder, standoff
- Photos: Pictures of suspects in Logan murder
- Mississippi man who awakened inside body bag dies
- 8th body recovered after NYC explosion
- Video: Man punches boy, 8, steals his iPad
- Milder this afternoon, snow possible Monday
46 min ago