Full appeals court to hear 'boobies' bracelet case
PHILADELPHIA - August 17, 2012 (WPVI) -- A full federal appeals court will weigh an eastern Pennsylvania school district's efforts to ban breast-cancer fundraising bracelets that say "I (heart) boobies!"
A three-judge panel of the 3rd U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals has been considering the case since April. Legal filings now indicate the entire 14-judge court in Philadelphia will hear it.
Two Easton Area Middle School students say their freedom of speech rights were violated when they were suspended for wearing the bracelets in 2010. District officials say the word is vulgar.
A federal judge ruled for the students last year. The district appealed to the three-judge panel.
Attorneys for both sides say the panel's draft opinion must have created enough disagreement to spur the full court to hear the case. No date has been set.
pennsylvania, breast cancer, northampton county, philadelphia, local/state
- Actor James Gandolfini dies at 51
- Another Beauty 7 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Get the new 6abc StormTracker app
- Bicyclist impaled on fence in Fairmount Park 4 min ago
- Boy, 6, hit by car in East Oak Lane
- Villanova lockdown over, all suspects in custody
- Pregnant woman, 2 others shot in N. Phila.
- Back yard bear prompts photos, videos
- Men's Wearhouse ousts founder, pitchman Zimmer
- 20 people charged in Ocean Co. heroin raids
- 15 charged in NJ unemployment fraud case
- AMA declares obesity a disease [POLL]
- Video: Phila. choir shares stage with Rolling Stones