Suspected bank bandit crashes during escape
MIDDLETOWN, Pa. - August 17, 2012 (WPVI) -- Police say a man, fleeing the bank he just robbed, crashed his vehicle into two other cars near Oxford Valley Mall in Bucks County.
The robbery happened late Friday morning at the First Federal Bank in Middletown, located just off of Route 1.
While attempting to flee the scene, the suspect crashed his vehicle into two other cars at Oxford Valley Road and S Bucks Town Drive.
Police were able to apprehend the suspect who was taken away by medics for treatment of injuries sustained in the crash.
One civilian was injured in the crash. That person was rushed to St. Mary's Hospital in critical condition.
Contrary to initial reports that police had engaged the suspect in a pursuit, officials tell Action News that the suspect must have seen a police cruiser during his escape, prompting him to accelerate his vehicle, lose control and crash.
There is no word on the identity of the suspect or on what charges he will be facing.
Police are continuing their investigation.
bucks county, pennsylvania, police chase, bank robbery, local/state
- Man targeted in Collingdale hit-and-run ID'd 25 min ago
- Easter Sunshine Sunday 5 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Armed robbery at Target on Roosevelt Boulevard 11 min ago
- Elderly man struck, killed in Rhawnhurst 25 min ago
- Sex assault on West Chester University campus 25 min ago
- Missing boater in Del. River ID'd, search called off 25 min ago
- Crimefighters: Reward in Camden drive-thru murder 8 min ago
- Divers pull more bodies from South Korean ferry 24 min ago
- No cause yet in 7-alarm Sea Isle City fire 25 min ago
- Good Samaritans help nab alleged purse snatchers
- Ohio couple married 70 years die 15 hours apart
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Man targeted in Collingdale hit-and-run ID'd
25 min ago
- Missing boater in Del. River ID'd, search...
25 min ago
- Divers pull more bodies from South Korean...
24 min ago
- Easter Sunshine Sunday
5 min ago