Girl, 9, mauled by dog in Southwest Philadelphia
SOUTHWEST PHILADELPHIA - August 17, 2012 (WPVI) -- A 9-year-old girl was hospitalized this morning after being bitten multiple times by a pit bull in Southwest Philadelphia.
Medics were called around 11:30 a.m. Friday to the 6800 block of Dicks Avenue.
The child was transported to Children's Hospital of Philadelphia as a trauma alert with multiple bites on her head, neck and back.
There is no word on what may have prompted the attack.
Most neighbors say they do not know the family at the house where the dog attack happened. They believed the household has two large dogs, which are sometimes let out on this back deck.
A woman answering the front door of the house confirmed a little girl had be attacked and bitten by a dog inside the house, but that the 9-year-old was going to be okay.
The woman volunteered she had called Animal Control to take away the attacking dog. A few minutes later, when Animal Contol officers arrived, the same woman became upset saying she did not want news cameras near her house.
At that point she apparently told the Animal Control agents to go away without the dog.
southwest philadelphia, philadelphia, animal attacks, local/state
- Over 75 injured in partial London theater collapse
- Record Weekend Warmth
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Security breach affected all cards, not just Target's
- Steps you can take to reduce fraud risk
- 1 dead after car plunges into lake in Vineland
- Is heroin addiction as close as your medicine cabinet?
- Philadelphia Police search for missing 2-year-old boy
- Attempted child luring in Newtown, Bucks County
- Holiday tips, cards stolen in East Pikeland Twp.
- Pastor defrocked after performing son's gay wedding
- 50 coworkers in Del. to split $1M Mega Millions ticket
- Bring old clothes to new H&M for savings
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos