Big crowds for 10th annual Atlantic City Airshow
ATLANTIC CITY, N.J. - August 17, 2012 (WPVI) -- The tenth annual Atlantic City Airshow got underway Friday at the Jersey Shore.
Hundreds of thousands of people turned out for 'Thunder Over the Boardwalk.' The show, featuring the U.S. Air Force Thunderbirds, is billed as the largest beachfront air show on the East Coast.
The Army Golden Knights kicked off the show Friday morning, parachuting in with a giant American flag as the national anthem was performed.
The sky was filled with thrills until 3:30 p.m. Friday, much to the delight of an estimated 800,000 people watching from the beach, the boardwalk and even from boats offshore.
Next up were the acrobatics of some New Jersey Air National Guard F-16 fighter jets.
Lt. Colonel Steven Ziomek of the 177th Fighter Wing said while the crowds are watching the planes, the lead pilot is enjoying his view of the crowds.
"What looks the most cool is when you look in at the beach and it's just a mass of humanity. The crowd is unreal," he said.
The crowd is just as enthusiastic. Korean War Vet Murray Birnbaum of Staten Island, N.Y. has been to every Atlantic City Airshow since it began. The show brings back memories of his own time in the service.
"Two of the gentlemen who were in my outfit were in the original Air Force acrobatic team, the Thunderbirds," said Birnbaum.
But you don't have to be a veteran to appreciate the excitement.
Andrew Rosa of Vineland, N.J. told Action News what he likes most is when the pilots fly in formations. Asked if it's something he might like to do someday, however, Andrew said no, it might be a little scary.
Scary to do, perhaps. But amazing to watch.
new jersey, atlantic city, local/state
- 40 homes threatened in NJ forest fire 11 min ago
- Sunny, blustery winds today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Forest fire up to 1500 acres in Cumberland Co.
- 1 dead in shooting near Widener University
- Package prompts evacuation in Evesham
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- 3 American doctors killed in Afghanistan
- Photos: 23 wanted in Phila. insurance fraud scheme
- Family escapes burning home in Bucks Co.
- Photos: National Pretzel Day Art & Fun Facts 2 min ago
- School stops serving Mountain Dew before tests
- Photos: People's 'Most Beautiful' list of 2014
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos