Recent line-of-duty deaths of Philly officers
PHILADELPHIA - August 18, 2012 (WPVI) -- Officer Walker's death marks the fourth time this year, and this summer, that the Philadelphia Police Department has lost a respected, veteran officer, and all of them were off-duty.
"We just lost officer Lorenzo," said Commissioner Ramsey. "Just a week and a half ago, we took the mourning ribbons off our badges and now we're putting them back on."
On July 8th, Highway Patrol Officer Brian Lorenzo was killed by a wrong way driver as he returned home from work on I-95.
Police say John Leck, Jr. was drunk when he hit the 23-year veteran's motorcycle.
A little more than a week later, Officer Marc Brady was struck and killed while riding his bicycle in East Mount Airy.
Kareem Alleyne is accused of intentionally running down the off-duty officer.
Then back on June 8th, Officer Milan Merke was critically injured after his motorcycle was hit during a ride for peace.
The 35th District officer died from his injuries one week later.
No charges were filed against the driver.
A look at recent deaths of Philadelphia police officers in the line of duty:
May 2006: Officer Gary Skerski, 46, became the first officer slain in the line of duty in Philadelphia in a decade when he was shot responding to a robbery at a bar.
October 2007: Officer Chuck Cassidy, 54, was shot to death when he interrupted a robbery at a Dunkin' Donuts.
May 2008: Sgt. Stephen Liczbinski, 39, was shot and killed following a bank robbery. Two men were convicted of first-degree murder, while the man believed to have gunned down the 12-year veteran was killed in a shootout with officers.
September 2008: Officer Patrick McDonald, 30, was shot and killed by a fugitive he had chased down after a traffic stop.
September 2008: Officer Isabel Nazario, 40, was killed when a teenager crashed a stolen SUV into her cruiser.
November 2008: Sgt. Timothy Simpson, 46, was killed when a man fleeing police in a stolen car hit his vehicle.
February 2009: Officer John Pawlowski, 25, was killed while responding to the attempted robbery of a cab driver despite wearing a bulletproof vest.
police officer killed, philadelphia, local/state
- Body found in home of Philadelphia attorney
- Clear, Still Breezy Tonight
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Delco girl still awaiting transplant 18-months later
- 1 dead in I-495 crash in Claymont, Delaware
- 7-year-old critically injured in SW Phila. house fire
- NE Phila. couple stabbed at home, son arrested
- Neighbor rescues woman in West Oak Lane fire
- Amber Alert for Pottsville teen canceled
- San Antonio flooding kills 2; hundreds rescued
- French soldier stabbed in throat outside Paris
- Knife-wielding man shot, killed in Oxford Circle
- Start to 1st summer after Sandy at NJ shore