PSU trustees plan open meetings at campus retreat
STATE COLLEGE, Pa. - August 19, 2012 (WPVI) -- Penn State trustees plan to hold open meetings next weekend as part of an on-campus retreat.
University spokesman Bill Mahon confirmed Saturday night meetings are scheduled for Aug. 25-26, but didn't immediately have details.
The Centre Daily Times on its website Saturday night reported it had obtained a copy of the agenda for next weekend's retreat, which is not a normally scheduled meeting. The schedule included sessions on board structures and governance; team-building exercises; and seminars.
Trustees have been previously criticized for similar retreats on campus that were not widely publicized.
The board and the university remain under scrutiny as Penn State deals with the widespread fallout from the child sex abuse scandal involving retired assistant coach Jerry Sandusky, including strict NCAA sanctions on the football program.
Earlier this month, the vast majority of members voiced support for the university president's acceptance of the NCAA penalties, although no formal vote was taken due to concerns about whether adequate public notice had been given for such action.
According to the agenda, next weekend's retreat will begin with a visit to football practice Friday afternoon, the newspaper said.
On Saturday, trustees will get a briefing on governance issues, including financial duties, risk oversight, conflict of interest, board structure and leadership, and governance "best practices." Team-building sessions will follow along with meetings with a leadership consulting company on issues such as Penn State's culture and the board's role in leadership culture at the university.
Those meetings are only for voting board members but a public meeting and board committee meets that are open to the public are also slated.
The board had previously announced that it would hold a retreat this fall.
pennsylvania, penn state, local/state
- Runway littered with holiday mail
- Warmer Weekend 47 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Student robbed at gunpoint inside Philly school
- SEPTA spreads holiday cheer with toy drive
- Carolers to perform to grant cancer patient her wish
- Fmr. Montco GOP chairman to stand trial for rape 49 min ago
- Pa. Turnpike reopens after multi-vehicle crash
- Dealer charged with selling Sandy damaged cars 33 min ago
- Bishop McDevitt HS student robbed at gunpoint
- Free diner for sale in Lawrence Twp., NJ
- Gov. Christie signs immigrant tuition bill
- Philippine mayor among 4 killed at Manila airport 41 min ago
- Warmer Weekend
47 min ago