Police: Electric shock leads to 'godfather of copper' arrest
LOWER POTTSGROVE TOWNSHIP, Pa. - August 20, 2012 (WPVI) -- In Montgomery County, thieves have been ripping off copper from area substations and the ongoing caper has caused shockwaves, in more ways than one.
Investigators in Lower Pottsgrove and the surrounding townships say the copper thieves had been on a three year run, ripping off the copper out of five area substations.
But then, in March, they got a break when Harris Wilkinson allegedly pressed his luck one too many times.
Police say while robbing a Berks County substation, a surge of electricity went through Wilkinson's body, severely disabling him and hospitalizing him for several months.
"Subsequently we developed these four suspects and were able to put a case together with common scheme and design," Lower Pottsgrove Police Chief Michael Foltz said.
Police say Wilkinson quickly turned on his alleged coconspirators, his wife Heather Wilkinson, Christopher Schade, and Ronald Neuman, who detectives say was the mastermind.
His alleged accomplices called Neuman the "godfather of copper."
"I know in at least one case there was between 80 and 100 pounds taken in just one breach," Foltz said.
The copper bandits would then take the valuable metal to a scrap yard and cash it in to use on drugs, beer, and cigarettes, according to investigators.
Action News tried to contact the scrap yard's owners to see if they knew that the copper was stolen, but the place was closed for the day and our phone calls have not been returned.
Police say the suspects even hit one substation that serves as the backup power to the Limerick nuclear power plant.
Authorities warn the thefts not only could have left customers without power, but put PECO and Exelon workers at extreme risk.
"In this case, these workers are coming in not even knowing these wires have been cut out and depending where they walk, it could be a daily route they take is now electrified and could be very dangerous," Foltz said.
pennsylvania, montgomery county, theft, local/state, chad pradelli
- Multi-vehicle crash closes EB Pa. Turnpike
- Temps Soar
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Volleyball coach accused sex with student 6 min ago
- Shots fired at home in Lower Gwynedd 23 min ago
- 2 men sought in Deptford Twp. hotel robbery
- Quick moving blaze damages house in West Philly
- Car plunges into lake in Vineland, victims ID'd
- Security breach affected all cards, not just Target's
- Philippine mayor among 4 killed at Manila airport
- Is heroin addiction as close as your medicine cabinet?
- Photos: Pictures of the Pa. Turnpike crash
- Woman's secret Santa turns out to be Bill Gates
- Temps Soar