Fire forces apartment evacuation in Univ. City
UNIVERSITY CITY - August 21, 2012 (WPVI) -- Flames and smoke forced the evacuation of a University City apartment complex early Tuesday morning.
The fire broke out just before 2:30 a.m. at the Hamilton Court apartments in the 100 block of South 39th Street.
Upon arrival, crews found smoke on the upper floors of the 7-story building. The fire reportedly started on the roof area of the 4th floor.
More than 50 residents, mostly students from Drexel and the University of Pennsylvania were evacuated.
The fire was placed under control just after 3:00 a.m. and there were no reports of any injuries.
Some residents were allowed back in the building in certain areas.
Officials are investigating the cause of the blaze.
fire, university city, philadelphia, local/state
- Caskets, headstones unearthed at Philly school 16 min ago
- Temps soar above normal
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Man struck by SEPTA bus in Wynnefield Heights 33 min ago
- Kutztown coach accused of covering up teen's rape 17 min ago
- Newtown 911 dispatcher urged callers to take cover
- Walker autopsy complete; 'Fast & Furious 7' halted
- Photos: Paul Walker: Pictures of crash scene, vigil
- Suspect in killing of fmr. Marine surrenders
- Attack in Center City caught on camera
- Police: Threat to father used in local scam
- Ocean County police to carry heroin antidote
- Photos: Open House: Pat Croce's $7.95M mansion
- Kutztown coach accused of covering up...
17 min ago