Fire forces apartment evacuation in Univ. City
UNIVERSITY CITY - August 21, 2012 (WPVI) -- Flames and smoke forced the evacuation of a University City apartment complex early Tuesday morning.
The fire broke out just before 2:30 a.m. at the Hamilton Court apartments in the 100 block of South 39th Street.
Upon arrival, crews found smoke on the upper floors of the 7-story building. The fire reportedly started on the roof area of the 4th floor.
More than 50 residents, mostly students from Drexel and the University of Pennsylvania were evacuated.
The fire was placed under control just after 3:00 a.m. and there were no reports of any injuries.
Some residents were allowed back in the building in certain areas.
Officials are investigating the cause of the blaze.
fire, university city, philadelphia, local/state
- NJ forest fire threatens homes; evacuations ordered 2 min ago
- Sunny, blustery winds today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Forest fire up to 1500 acres in Cumberland Co.
- 1 dead in shooting near Widener University
- Package prompts evacuation in Evesham
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- 3 American doctors killed in Afghanistan
- Photos: 23 wanted in Phila. insurance fraud scheme
- Family escapes burning home in Bucks Co.
- Photos: National Pretzel Day Art & Fun Facts 58 min ago
- School stops serving Mountain Dew before tests
- Photos: People's 'Most Beautiful' list of 2014
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos