Fire forces apartment evacuation in Univ. City
UNIVERSITY CITY - August 21, 2012 (WPVI) -- Flames and smoke forced the evacuation of a University City apartment complex early Tuesday morning.
The fire broke out just before 2:30 a.m. at the Hamilton Court apartments in the 100 block of South 39th Street.
Upon arrival, crews found smoke on the upper floors of the 7-story building. The fire reportedly started on the roof area of the 4th floor.
More than 50 residents, mostly students from Drexel and the University of Pennsylvania were evacuated.
The fire was placed under control just after 3:00 a.m. and there were no reports of any injuries.
Some residents were allowed back in the building in certain areas.
Officials are investigating the cause of the blaze.
fire, university city, philadelphia, local/state
- Photos: Pictures from Easter Sunday services
- AccuWeather: Easter to be comfortable, breezy
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Video: 5,000 turn out for Easter service in Mt. Airy
- Pope Francis, huge crowd joyously celebrate Easter
- Boxer Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter dies at 76
- Man shot, killed in Gloucester Twp. apartment
- Man found shot in minivan in Tioga-Nicetown
- Girl hospitalized after near-drowning in Philly hotel
- 2 injured after car hits Camden police cruiser
- Man targeted in Collingdale hit-and-run ID'd
- Divers pull more bodies from sunken South Korean ferry
- Video: Snowmobiler charged by angry moose