Fire forces apartment evacuation in Univ. City
UNIVERSITY CITY - August 21, 2012 (WPVI) -- Flames and smoke forced the evacuation of a University City apartment complex early Tuesday morning.
The fire broke out just before 2:30 a.m. at the Hamilton Court apartments in the 100 block of South 39th Street.
Upon arrival, crews found smoke on the upper floors of the 7-story building. The fire reportedly started on the roof area of the 4th floor.
More than 50 residents, mostly students from Drexel and the University of Pennsylvania were evacuated.
The fire was placed under control just after 3:00 a.m. and there were no reports of any injuries.
Some residents were allowed back in the building in certain areas.
Officials are investigating the cause of the blaze.
fire, university city, philadelphia, local/state
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp. explosion
- Brief Surge of Mild Air
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Gas leak, evacuations reported in Frankford
- Man,90, dies in Hamilton Township house fire
- Partial house collapse in Strawberry Mansion
- 2 injured in NJ Turnpike crash in Mt. Laurel
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspects
- Pa. woman born at Burger King seeks birth mom
- Vietnam vet's therapy dog missing in Lehigh Valley
- Photos: 7 recent child porn arrests in Pa.and Del.
- Photos: Thwarted! 10 suspects caught in the act
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos