New Paterno biography in stores Tuesday
PHILADELPHIA - August 21, 2012 (WPVI) -- Joe Paterno's new biography was released in stores Tuesday.
The book is called "Paterno", and is written by a former writer for Sports Illustrated magazine.
As folks walked by Barnes and Noble in Rittenhouse Square, they weighed in on the man, the book, and if it makes their reading list.
"I think he's a legacy at Penn State, and I absolutely would support reading the book," said Jennifer Shentob.
"The book doesn't hold any interest. I know plenty about Joe Paterno before, and I know plenty about him after," said Josh Frank.
Posnanski profiled Paterno back in 2009. This biography was years in the making, though of course it took an unexpected turn when the Sandusky scandal broke.
The book maintains Paterno never knew of the abuse, but only had a vague idea of inappropriate behavior in a Penn State shower.
"He had his dark moments, certainly, when he wondered how old friends could turn so suddenly on him and how people at Penn State, the school he had loved and championed for most of his life, could believe such terrible things about him," Joe Posnanski writes.
"I think it's a tragic, tragic story," said Kristen Rantanen. "He made a terrible mistake not following up in not reporting follow up on what he clearly knew, and unfortunately and very sadly, it's tarnished his legacy."
"Obviously Sandusky I have a very negative opinion of, and I think that comes off toward Joe Paterno as well," said Jake Bauer.
In order to write this book, the author writes he conducted hundreds of interviews. He also had access to the Paterno family, as well as Joe's personal letters and files.
The books spans Paterno's life and career and also explores his relationship with Sandusky.
Posnanski writes, "The two despised each other from the start".
Of writing this biography, the author explains that the only thing Paterno ever asked of him was to "write the truth", and that is what he says he tried to do.
joe paterno, pennsylvania state university, jerry sandusky, philadelphia, local/state, katherine scott
- Traffic stop turns violent, police shoot suspect
- A Nice Stretch
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Get the new 6abc StormTracker app
- Mourning NJ doctor killed in murder-suicide
- Car carrier crashes into bridge in Whitemarsh Twp. 35 min ago
- Paraplegic man castrated in SW Phila. attack
- Storms bring floods to the Jersey shore
- Video: Incredible footage of wrong-way bus crash
- Police: Girl used in theft at Phila. nail salon
- Tire dumping probe targets Wilmington shop
- Teacher charged again for indecent exposure
- Construction worker killed on way to job
- $325,000 Cash 5 ticket sold in Philadelphia
- Car carrier crashes into bridge in...
35 min ago