Jury selection ends in baby bridge death case
NEW BRUNSWICK, N.J. (AP) - August 21, 2012 (WPVI) -- Jury selection has ended in the murder trial of a New Jersey man accused of throwing his 3-month-old daughter off a bridge while the child's mother was at court seeking a restraining order against him.
State prosecutors say Shamsid-Din Abdur-Raheem abducted Zara Malani-lin Abdur-Raheem from her grandmother's East Orange apartment in February 2010. He eventually parked on the Alfred E. Driscoll Bridge on the Garden State Parkway and then threw or dropped the baby into the Raritan River.
The child's body was discovered about two months later on the riverbank, near the Route 35 Victory Bridge.
Besides the murder count, the 24-year-old former Galloway Township resident also faces charges of attempted murder, kidnapping, aggravated assault and child endangerment.
Opening arguments in the case are scheduled for Wednesday morning.
baby death, new jersey, local/state
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police 3 min ago
- Windy and cold today 1 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Saints will trade Sproles to Eagles; Birds sign Carroll
- Driver fleeing police kills 2 at SXSW festival
- Photos: Pictures from the SXSW festival crash
- Malaysia: No debris in area shown on China images 7 min ago
- 7th body recovered after NYC explosion 35 min ago
- High winds cause damage across the region 50 min ago
- Photos: Pictures from Thursday's wind damage
- Christie talks taxes at town hall meeting 3 min ago
- Rescue crews pull woman from Schuylkill River
- Video: Man punches boy, 8, steals his iPad 45 min ago
- Man punches boy, 8, steals his iPad
45 min ago
- High winds cause damage across the region
50 min ago
- 7th body recovered after NYC explosion
35 min ago