Salvation Army hosts back-to-school giveaway
PHILADELPHIA - August 28, 2012 (WPVI) -- Some lucky inner city kids will be sporting the latest backpacks this fall in school thanks to the Salvation Army who gave out bags full of everything a child might need to get off to the right start.
Five-year-old Jaden proudly showcased his bag full of back-to school goodies in North Philadelphia Tuesday. The jewel in his new collection is a Batman calculator set.
But some of the other children weren't playing favorites. They admired all their new supplies for the first day of school which is just around the corner.
"I'm starting second grade, and I'm happy," said Kyle Morris.
"I'm going to be starting fifth grade, and I need a lot of pens and stuff because we do a lot of cursive," said 5th grader Rahshanna Born.
For a second year, PGW's Ignited Toward Success Affinity Group made a call to employees for school supplies to donate to the Salvation Army Red Shield Family Residence on North Broad Street.
Thankful parents looked on as their kids sorted through the all the different piles of goodies.
"It has been a tough time, and like I said, I'm very grateful for something like this," said Heather Osborne.
All these items, including backpacks, folders, and crayons, were donated to close to 30 children whose families have come to the shelter.
"Their families don't have a lot of resources. And oftentimes, if not for this type of event, they would not have what they need to start school," said Sheila Dickens-Mosley.
The cost of school supplies can certainly add up, especially for families who are experiencing tough times. They say they are just so grateful for these donations.
"I knew my mom needed help getting it, so thankfully they had the supplies that they did, which is awesome," said 9th grader Tanesha Thomas.
salvation army, north philadelphia, philadelphia, local/state, katherine scott
- Partial house collapse in Strawberry Mansion 26 min ago
- Brief Surge of Mild Air
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Man,90, dies in Hamilton Township house fire 45 min ago
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp. explosion 16 min ago
- 2 injured in NJ Turnpike crash in Mt. Laurel
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspects
- Pa. woman born at Burger King seeks birth mom
- Cabbie allegedly locks doors in credit card dispute
- Vietnam vet's therapy dog missing in Lehigh Valley
- Photos: 7 recent child porn arrests in Pa.and Del.
- Photos: Thwarted! 10 suspects caught in the act
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp....
16 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos