Fire at Berks Co. mushroom farm ruled accidental
RUSCOMB MANOR TWP., Pa. - August 22, 2012 (WPVI) -- Investigators say a fire which tore through a mushroom farm in Berks County Wednesday was the result of an accident.
They say the inferno at the Giorgi Mushroom Company in Ruscomb Manor Township was sparked by an electrical malfunction in a utility room.
The blaze broke out at around 7:00 p.m. Wednesday.
Reports said flames shot as high as 20 feet in the air and the plume of smoke could be seen several miles away in Reading, Pa.
The multi-alarm blaze closed a part of Route 73 near Hartz Road.
No one was injured.
Damage to the facility is estimated at $300,000.
pennsylvania, berks county, fire, local/state
- Photos: LATEST MAPS: 6+" in parts of NJ
- Winter's Last Blast
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Co-pilot spoke missing plane's last words
- Video: Annie McCormick: Snow in Atlantic City 52 min ago
- Video: Katherine Scott: Snow in Delaware 34 min ago
- Video: Car spins out on I-95 in South Phila.
- Woman, 98, injured in Powelton high-rise fire
- Police: Driver, who hit pedestrian, hit by car
- Delaware man suspected in 14 different thefts
- Photos: Suspects in Pa. 'street-level' drug sweep
- NJ salon customer allegedly attacks employees
- NJ state police trooper among 3 injured in crash
- Annie McCormick: Snow in Atlantic City
52 min ago
- Katherine Scott: Snow in Delaware
34 min ago