Trial for NJ cop in Doylestown standoff
DOYLESTOWN - June 23, 2012 (WPVI) -- A Clifton, New Jersey police officer who staged an armed standoff on Father's Day will go to trial.
42-year-old Richard Klementovich was off duty when police say he barricaded himself in his estranged wife's Doylestown home.
Police say Klementovich initially called the police himself saying there was a civil dispute. When the officer arrived there was an envelope in the driveway addressed to Doylestown police.
"Officer read the note, flipped it over, and it basically stated to the effect that [Klementovich] had 2,000 rounds of ammunition in the home and he is a police officer," said Acting Chief Dean Logan.
The officer left the driveway and went back to his police car. That's when the shooting started.
Police say over the course of hours Klementovich kept firing, 118 shots in all, hitting his target every time.
Two squad cars were riddled with bullets and an armored personnel vehicle was also struck, police said. According to police radio transmissions, the gunman shot out the tires on the armored truck and its vehicle camera.
Doylestown Officer William Doucette was injured by flying concrete when a bullet struck the sidewalk. He was not seriously hurt.
Authorities say Klementovich showed up at his estranged wife's house with an arsenal, including high powered rifles and assault weapons.
He faces several charges including aggravated assault.
pennsylvania, bucks county, new jersey, shooting, barricade, local/state
- Multi-alarm fire at NJ apartment complex 5 min ago
- Lots of sun, chilly today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Photos: Pictures of damage from Tuesday's storm 11 min ago
- High winds bring damage to Abington Twp. 10 min ago
- Violent Chester police confrontation caught on video
- Driver loses control, hits parked SUV in South Philly
- Free coffee as Wawa celebrates 50th 58 min ago
- Man charged with hoax near marathon finish line
- Bucks Co. runner set to return to Boston Marathon
- Chaka Fattah Jr. files $10 million federal lawsuit
- Police: Pa. man tries to snatch baby from stroller
- 292 missing, 4 dead in South Korea ferry disaster 17 min ago
- High winds bring damage to Abington Twp.
10 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos