Trial for NJ cop in Doylestown standoff
DOYLESTOWN - June 23, 2012 (WPVI) -- A Clifton, New Jersey police officer who staged an armed standoff on Father's Day will go to trial.
42-year-old Richard Klementovich was off duty when police say he barricaded himself in his estranged wife's Doylestown home.
Police say Klementovich initially called the police himself saying there was a civil dispute. When the officer arrived there was an envelope in the driveway addressed to Doylestown police.
"Officer read the note, flipped it over, and it basically stated to the effect that [Klementovich] had 2,000 rounds of ammunition in the home and he is a police officer," said Acting Chief Dean Logan.
The officer left the driveway and went back to his police car. That's when the shooting started.
Police say over the course of hours Klementovich kept firing, 118 shots in all, hitting his target every time.
Two squad cars were riddled with bullets and an armored personnel vehicle was also struck, police said. According to police radio transmissions, the gunman shot out the tires on the armored truck and its vehicle camera.
Doylestown Officer William Doucette was injured by flying concrete when a bullet struck the sidewalk. He was not seriously hurt.
Authorities say Klementovich showed up at his estranged wife's house with an arsenal, including high powered rifles and assault weapons.
He faces several charges including aggravated assault.
pennsylvania, bucks county, new jersey, shooting, barricade, local/state
- Photos: Weekend storm forecast maps 21 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Photos: Pictures from Colorado high school shooting 46 min ago
- 2-alarm house fire in Blackwood, NJ 42 min ago
- Drugs, $29K seized in raid at Rowan U. dorm
- Police search for missing Rider University student
- Coroner: Frat pledge died from head injuries
- Tennis coach charged with corruption of minors
- Police: Driver dies in crash after fleeing 2 others
- Arrest made after taxi carjacking in South Phila.
- Kansas airport worker arrested in car bomb plot 37 min ago
- Mega Millions jackpot jumps to $425-million