Suspect sought in shopping center burglary spree
NEWARK, Del. - August 23, 2012 (WPVI) -- Police are investigating the burglary of six businesses and the attempted burglary of three additional businesses, all of which occurred during the early morning hours on Thursday in the Suburban Plaza Shopping Center in Newark.
At approximately 2:39 a.m. Newark police responded to a burglary alarm at Fulton Paper.
Upon arriving, officers discovered that an unknown suspect, who had already fled the area, had pried open the front door and once inside, pried open the cash register.
Officers conducted a canvass of the area and discovered that five additional stores had also been burglarized in a similar manner and that the suspect had attempted to enter three other stores.
Police say the suspect got away with an undisclosed amount of cash from several business.
Police say the six burglarized businesses include: Joy Garden, Bagelmania, Curves, Fulton Paper, Spa-Lon and Post Net. The suspect attempted to gain access at Wireless Zone, the Blue Crab Grill and EZ Loan.
The burglary suspect was captured on surveillance video at Bagelmania.
In this video, the suspect can be seen using several tools to pry open the cash register to gain access to the cash drawer.
The suspect is described as a white male approximately 6' tall with grayish brown hair.
The suspect is wearing a blue short sleeve shirt, blue jeans, white sneakers and surgical gloves.
Investigators believe the suspect captured on video surveillance is the same suspect responsible for a May 20th burglary of the Applebee's, also located in Suburban Plaza.
During that burglary, the suspect entered the Applebee's at approximately 5:30 a.m. and once inside, removed a safe containing an undisclosed amount of cash.
Anyone with additional information on this incident should contact Detective Greg D'Elia at (302) 366-7110 x 132 or firstname.lastname@example.org You can send an anonymous text message tip by texting 302NPD and your message to TIP411. Information can also be provided anonymously to Crime Stoppers at 1-800-TIP-3333 or via the internet at www.tipsubmit.com where a reward may be available.
delaware, newark, burglary, local/state
- Mourning NJ doctor killed in murder-suicide 46 min ago
- Stormy to spectacular
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Get the new 6abc StormTracker app
- Paraplegic man castrated in SW Phila. attack 29 min ago
- Storms bring floods to the Jersey shore 58 min ago
- Video: Incredible footage of wrong-way bus crash
- Police: Girl used in theft at Phila. nail salon
- Tire dumping probe targets Wilmington shop
- Teacher charged again for indecent exposure
- Construction worker killed on way to job
- US: Unruly traveler had worked at State Department
- $325,000 Cash 5 ticket sold in Philadelphia
- Phillies activate Carlos Ruiz from disabled list
- Mourning NJ doctor killed in murder-suicide
46 min ago
- Lindenwold school bus crash caught on camera
39 min ago