Motorcycle ride honors fallen Phila. officer
PHILADELPHIA - August 24, 2012 (WPVI) -- A river of motorcycle riders and fellow officers rode to pay tribute to their fallen brother.
It was a remarkable sight and sound, the rumble of what looked like a river of motorcycles as riders rolled out from the Police Academy.
Their mission was clear: to pay tribute to Officer Moses Walker Jr. who was shot to death in an apparent robbery attempt while walking to a bus stop, shortly after finishing his night shift.
"We want people to know that the police are important. Without the police its chaotic, the police are out here to protect everyone," said Officer Mike Duffy.
Third district officer Duffy and others in the Bullets Motorcycle club organized this effort but hundreds of other riders joined in.
"These cops are out there for us every day of our lives. Through thick and thin they answer the call every minute of every day. The least we can do is show them and their families that we're behind them," said Tony Fialkowsski of Warriors Watch.
The motorcycle riders slowed as they rode past Officer Walker's stationhouse - the 22d district, and then motored the few blocks to 20th and Cecil B Moore where he was killed.
At the crime scene, Walker's captain asked for a moment of silence and later spoke of the 40-year-old officer.
"He was a quiet guy but came to work and was very dependable. A little late in life he found God and started to attend church and spread the gospel," said Captain Rolan Lee.
Funeral services for Officer Walker will begin with a viewing Sunday at 6:00 p.m. at Deliverance Evangelistic Church on West Lehigh Avenue.
philadelphia, police officer killed, philadelphia police, north philadelphia, shooting, homicide, local/state
- AccuWeather: Enjoy the Easter sunshine! 19 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Sign up for Facebook Flash
- Man shot, killed in Gloucester Twp. apartment 15 min ago
- Girl hospitalized after near-drowning in Philly hotel 9 min ago
- Man targeted in Collingdale hit-and-run ID'd 47 min ago
- Missing boater in Del. River ID'd, search called off
- Armed robbery at Target on Roosevelt Boulevard 38 min ago
- Pedestrian struck, killed by truck in Rhawnhurst 41 min ago
- Sex assault on West Chester University campus
- Good Samaritans help nab alleged purse snatchers
- Lumberton brush fire considered 'suspicious' 52 min ago
- Crimefighters: Reward in Camden drive-thru murder
- Man targeted in Collingdale hit-and-run ID'd
47 min ago
- AccuWeather: Enjoy the Easter sunshine!
19 min ago