Pa. priest on leave, accused of child sexual abuse
HOLLIDAYSBURG, Pa. (AP) -August 25, 2012 (WPVI) -- A western Pennsylvania priest has been placed on leave amid allegations of sexual abuse involving children several decades ago.
The Catholic Diocese of Altoona-Johnstown said Friday that the Rev. George Koharchik, pastor of Saint Catherine of Siena Parish in Mount Union, will not be permitted to function as a priest and won't have contact with children while he is on leave.
Diocese spokesman Tony DeGol said the alleged sexual misconduct took place in the late 1970s. The alleged victims brought it to the attention of the church recently.
Bishop Mark Bartchak has notified the Cambria County district attorney of the accusations. The church did not elaborate further on the allegations.
DeGol said a letter from the bishop will be read to parishioners Sunday.
children, child abuse, pennsylvania, local/state
- Parking dispute turns violent at Cherry Hill Mall
- Milder Monday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 1 dead, 1 injured in Winslow Twp. crash 14 min ago
- Mutilated animal found in Brewerytown
- 'Band of Brothers' vet William Guarnere dies at 90
- 2 wounded in daytime shooting in Trenton 11 min ago
- Vietnam says it may have found missing jet's door
- Del. worker hospitalized after pretzel factory accident 53 min ago
- Mom accused of driving into surf goes before judge
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera
- Video: Annual Phila. Flower Show wraps up
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ