Pa. priest on leave, accused of child sexual abuse
HOLLIDAYSBURG, Pa. (AP) -August 25, 2012 (WPVI) -- A western Pennsylvania priest has been placed on leave amid allegations of sexual abuse involving children several decades ago.
The Catholic Diocese of Altoona-Johnstown said Friday that the Rev. George Koharchik, pastor of Saint Catherine of Siena Parish in Mount Union, will not be permitted to function as a priest and won't have contact with children while he is on leave.
Diocese spokesman Tony DeGol said the alleged sexual misconduct took place in the late 1970s. The alleged victims brought it to the attention of the church recently.
Bishop Mark Bartchak has notified the Cambria County district attorney of the accusations. The church did not elaborate further on the allegations.
DeGol said a letter from the bishop will be read to parishioners Sunday.
children, child abuse, pennsylvania, local/state
- Mom of Tasered teen arrested for shoplifting
- Finally, a nice weekend!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Oil slicks found in hunt for missing Malaysian jet 57 min ago
- Police: Deadly shooting at after-hours bar 3 min ago
- Woman trapped after crashing SUV in Darby Boro
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- Pedestrian ID'd in fatal Collingdale hit-and-run
- Actress Sheila MacRae of 'Honeymooners' dies at 92
- 2 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- West Philadelphia body ID'd as missing woman
- UPenn's Foal Cam gives LIVE view into horse's birth
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Oil slicks found in hunt for missing...
57 min ago
- Police: Deadly shooting at after-hours bar
3 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos