Pa. priest on leave, accused of child sexual abuse
HOLLIDAYSBURG, Pa. (AP) -August 25, 2012 (WPVI) -- A western Pennsylvania priest has been placed on leave amid allegations of sexual abuse involving children several decades ago.
The Catholic Diocese of Altoona-Johnstown said Friday that the Rev. George Koharchik, pastor of Saint Catherine of Siena Parish in Mount Union, will not be permitted to function as a priest and won't have contact with children while he is on leave.
Diocese spokesman Tony DeGol said the alleged sexual misconduct took place in the late 1970s. The alleged victims brought it to the attention of the church recently.
Bishop Mark Bartchak has notified the Cambria County district attorney of the accusations. The church did not elaborate further on the allegations.
DeGol said a letter from the bishop will be read to parishioners Sunday.
children, child abuse, pennsylvania, local/state
- Body found in home of Philadelphia attorney 45 min ago
- Clear, Still Breezy Tonight
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- 1 dead in I-495 crash in Claymont, Delaware
- 7-year-old critically injured in SW Phila. house fire
- NE Phila. couple stabbed at home, son arrested
- Woman hospitalized in West Oak Lane fire
- Amber Alert for Pottsville teen canceled
- Knife-wielding man shot, killed in Oxford Circle
- Philadelphia man arrested for firing shots at police
- French soldier stabbed in throat outside Paris
- Angel Flight crashes in NY, 2 killed, 1 missing
- Start to 1st summer after Sandy at NJ shore 18 min ago
- Body found in home of Philadelphia attorney
45 min ago