Duran Duran cancels concert in Atlantic City
ATLANTIC CITY, N.J. - August 25, 2012 (WPVI) -- The illness of keyboardist Nick Rhodes forced the last-minute cancellation of rock group Duran Duran's Saturday night concert at Atlantic City's Revel.
The chart-topping 1980s English band has been on the road for nearly two straight years in support of their new album "All You Need Is Now," and the pace has taken its toll on Rhodes.
The casino, Atlantic City's newest, said Rhodes has been sick for a few days and saw a doctor Saturday who advised him not to perform Saturday night. In a news release, Rhodes said doctors told him he could be suffering from exhaustion.
The casino said the band is considering playing the show in the next few days, so fans should hold onto their tickets and wait for an official announcement of a re-scheduled date.
"I have struggled through the last few nights, hoping that I could simply work through this," Rhodes said. "But today I felt so unwell, I had to see a doctor.
"We absolutely hate to disappoint our incredibly loyal fans and cancel a show at the last minute, but unfortunately the doctor has strongly recommended that this is what we do on this occasion. So it is with enormous regret that we are unable to perform in Atlantic City tonight," Rhodes said.
The casino was not informed that the band would be canceling until 7 p.m. Saturday - after many fans had already arrived with tickets.
The band is best known for their 1980s MTV videos, including "Rio" and "Girls On Film."
The show was to take place at the casino's 5,000-seat Ovation Hall.
Revel opened in April. It featured four concerts by Beyonce at its grand opening over Memorial Day weekend.
new jersey, atlantic city, music, local/state
- Photos: 24 wanted in Phila. insurance fraud scheme
- Mostly sunny, very windy today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Pizza deliveryman ID'd in police shooting 50 min ago
- Eye doc grew pot in Delco home, police say 36 min ago
- Police ID man found dead in Centreville driveway 26 min ago
- Wildfire risk prompts Red Flag Warning for NJ 11 min ago
- Road reopens months after Frankford water main break 41 min ago
- Man shot multiple times in West Philadelphia 26 min ago
- Fmr. Devon Prep teacher faces child porn charges
- Woman charged in NJ man's overdose death
- New 'object of interest' in missing jet hunt
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Eye doc grew pot in Delco home, police say
36 min ago
- Pizza deliveryman ID'd in police shooting
50 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos