Reward offered in W. Phila. beating, robbery
WEST PHILADELPHIA - August 25, 2012 (WPVI) -- A reward is now being offered to find the suspect who beat and robbed a woman at an ATM machine in West Philadelphia.
It happened Aug. 3, around 8:45 in the morning. Surveillance video captured 66-year-old Ruth Ellen Dennison entering the Lucky Food Market on 57th and Arch streets.
Dennison withdrew money from the ATM and the suspect followed her down the 5600 block of Cherry Street. That's where he grabbed her, beat her and escaped with her ATM card and a cigarette purse.
Action News was there when Dennison was released from the hospital. Her eyes and lips were swollen from the savage beating she got by a man twice her size.
Now the Citizens Crime Commission is offering a $1,000 reward to help find the person responsible.
"These creeps follow them and do damage to them. This woman got viciously beaten. He needs to get caught, picked up and taken to jail," said Santo Montecalvo, of the Citizens Crime Commission.
The suspect is described as an African-American male, 35-40-years-old. He was last seen wearing a black t-shirt, black or grey colored cargo shorts, and carrying a hooded sweatshirt.
If you have any information about the suspect or the crime you can submit a tip by dialing 215-686-TIPS (8677), text TIP to PPD TIP (773847) or through phillypolice.com.
crimefighters, philadelphia, west philadelphia, beating, robbery, local/state
- Shooting leads to police standoff in Logan 33 min ago
- AccuWeather: Weather Whiplash
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 3 hit by car inside Famous Footwear in Chesco 10 min ago
- Deadly shooting near La Salle University
- Police: Woman, 21, stabbed grandfather to death
- Pedestrian struck in North Philadelphia
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's death
- Volunteer brutally assaulted outside Lehigh Co. church
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm 40 min ago
- Tests confirm toxic chemicals inside Phila. fire station
- Malaysian military: Missing jet changed course
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police