Guilty plea in murder of woman at Pa. Wawa
UPPER UWCHLAN TWP., Pa. - August 27, 2012 (WPVI) -- The man who murdered his estranged wife outside a Chester County Wawa will spend the rest of his life in prison.
James Hvizda learned his fate shortly after arriving at the courthouse in West Chester on Monday morning.
He pleaded guilty in May to stabbing Kimberly Hvizda in the parking lot of the Wawa in Upper Uwchlan Township back in March.
Hvizda apologized for the murder during his sentencing and said he will not appeal the conviction or sentencing.
The mother of four had a protection order against her estranged husband.
The killing happened around 11:00 that night outside the store at 1800 Ticonderoga Boulevard.
According to the police affidavit, the pair spoke by cell phone on Wednesday and agreed to meet at the store.
D.A. Tom Hogan said James Hvizda had met Kimberly at the store where she worked as she was beginning her shift. The two had a conversation in front of the store, Hogan said, then walked over to Kimberly's van.
That was where James Hvizda stabbed Kimberly multiple times, Hogan said.
When Kimberly did not return to the store, a fellow employee went outside to check on her and found her in the parking lot.
At about the same time, Hogan said, James Hvizda walked into the Upper Uwchlan Police Department to report he had just killed his wife.
Rescuers arrived at the scene to find Kimberly Hvizda dead.
The Hvizdas had four children ranging in age from 18 months old to 13 years old.
pennsylvania, chester county, homicide, stabbing, local/state
- More Snow on the Way
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Photos: Winter storm forecast maps 10 min ago
- 2 arrested for violent Center City attack
- Thief steals $17K from Philadelphia charter school
- 2 PSU students charged with ethnic intimidation
- Teen shot in Wilmington 44 min ago
- Man who bought guns for teen sentenced
- ID released of man killed on Pa. Turnpike
- 2K get meningitis B vaccinations at Princeton 32 min ago
- US Airways, American merger complete
- Rachael Ray's cookbook competition