Drenching rain causes flooding in Mercer Co., New Jersey
HAMILTON TWP., N.J. - August 27, 2012 (WPVI) -- Drenching rains fell in parts of the region Monday. In one New Jersey town, a combination of low-lying areas and clogged storm drains was a recipe for disaster.
Dramatic video showed 22-year-old Steve Quarenta's 1996 Chrysler Sebring dead in the water after flash flooding at the intersection of Bow Hill and Elizabeth Avenues in Hamilton rose to the windows of his car, stopping it in its tracks.
Steve talked to Action News but didn't want the camera on his face.
"All the other people there were driving right through it, so my car I guess sits a little bit lower and I got stuck," he said.
"Just too much rain way too fast," said sewerage plant chief Fritz Rasweiler. "The storm drain system just couldn't handle it."
Police responded and blocked off the street while township crews cleared out storm sewers.
Steve Quarenta's wasn't the only car claimed by flooding. Several vehicles parked near the corner were also swamped.
"I was upstairs watching TV, and by the time I got dressed and came down all 3 cars were flooded already," said Jose Campos.
"His car's shot," said Joe Carroll, pointing out several flooded cars. "The white one here, too. And this is flooded but it's running. He was up to his center console in this one here."
Residents say flooding is a consistent problem here at Bow Hill and Elizabeth. The intersection sits low and when it rains hard the water pools here.
Charlie Rocco lives on the corner and says the pipes underground can't handle the amount of water big rains bring. His intersection flooded TWICE Monday as storms moved through.
"As soon as it slows down it goes down fast," said Rocco. "I've had it up to here, that fire hydrant."
Steve Quarenta says he's "had it up to here". As a flatbed truck prepared to cart away his leaking car, he no doubt wishes he'd stayed away from this swamp of an intersection.
new jersey, flooding, mercer county, rain, local/state, nora muchanic
- Malaysian leader: plane's disappearance deliberate
- Breezy And Mild!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Elderly woman crashes into Toms River law ofc. 26 min ago
- 2 couples robbed at gunpoint in North Philly
- Fire forces 11 people from their homes
- Driver crashes SUV into pole in East Falls, DUI suspected
- 3 people injured in Roosevelt Boulevard crash
- Renovation competitors fight at Phila. fire scenes
- Moving day for Oak Lane Garden residents
- SEPTA union agrees to delay strike
- 100 plus weight loss journey to healthy living
- Runway reopens after failed takeoff at PHL
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos