Homework help at Philly libraries
PHILADELPHIA - September 4, 2012 (WPVI) -- If your child has a problem completing a homework assignment, you might refer to a textbook, go online, phone the teacher, or try one great underused resource...your library.
Philadelphia has 54 branches throughout the city and each offers homework help several ways. First, there's K-12 assistance daily once school lets out.
This program continues until 5:00 or 6:00 p.m. depending on location. Children in lower grades generally get assistance from high school students but adults are always on hand.
Second, there's the "Brain Fuse" program, a national network of helps the Free Library offers to members. This includes grade-appropriate help in all subjects.
Finally, there's a catalog of broader learning resources. The Free Library website offers one-on-one writing help in which a document may be uploaded for critique.
An individual user may open "cloud" space sufficient to store several of these, and you may interact with an online expert who will help you improve.
Help is available for anyone who wants to learn some two dozen languages...even a fanciful course in "Pirate". And members have access to practice versions of many standardized tests including the SAT and ACT.
There are also practice versions of graduate school exams...all free of charge. These alone could save you hundreds rather than enrolling in a preparation course.
The website is available to anyone who owns a Free Library of Philadelphia card. That's available at any branch to a city resident, a holder of any other Pennsylvania library card, and anyone who works in the city and pays Philadelphia Wage Tax. But the site is so highly-regarded that people who don't qualify...some from as far away as Australia...pay a $35.00 annual fee to get a card.
For more information, visit the branch near you or go online to the Free Library.
children, school, philadelphia, local/state
- Parking dispute turns violent at Cherry Hill Mall
- Sunny and chilly
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Mutilated animal found in North Philadelphia
- 'Band of Brothers' vet William Guarnere dies at 90 20 min ago
- Vietnam says it may have found missing jet's door 14 min ago
- Mom accused of driving into surf goes before judge 12 min ago
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera 32 min ago
- Residents return following Bucks Co. hazmat
- Man, 22, dies after shooting in Chester
- Man seriously injured in crash on Roosevelt Blvd.
- Gunfire erupts on Delaware Ave. near SugarHouse Casino
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Vietnam says it may have found missing...
14 min ago