Fmr. Sen. Arlen Specter says he has cancer again
PHILADELPHIA - August 28, 2012 (WPVI) -- Former Sen. Arlen Specter confirmed Tuesday that he is fighting cancer again, calling the latest diagnosis "another battle I intend to win."
The 82-year-old Specter issued a brief statement through his Philadelphia office.
Action News has learned that Specter is currently at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania.
Specter had "a big flareup" of the disease Monday night, a source told CNN.
Specter, who with 5 terms was Pennsylvania's longest-serving senator, has overcome two bouts with Hodgkin's disease, a cancer of the lymphatic system, since 2005. He also has survived a brain tumor and cardiac arrest after bypass surgery.
Sources tell Action News that the latest form of cancer to affect Specter was diagnosed about 6 weeks ago. His family is closely shielding specifics about his condition.
In his statement, he said: "I'm battling cancer. It's another battle I intend to win. I'm grateful for all the well wishes I've received. I'm looking forward to getting back to work, to the comedy stage, to the squash court and to the ballpark."
In retirement, among other activities, Specter occasionally performed standup comedy at clubs in Philadelphia and New York.
He played squash nearly every day into his mid-70s.
Specter has also been practicing law, writing books and teaching.
His 30-year career ended after he switched from the Republican Party to the Democratic Party. He lost the Democratic primary in 2010, and Pennsylvania voters elected conservative Republican Pat Toomey from the Lehigh Valley, who was a U.S. Congressman at the time, to replace him.
In Tampa Bay, Florida, at the Republican National Convention, Specter's former colleague Rick Santorum, who was a member of the U.S. Senate with Specter, said he learned about Specter's illness about a month ago.
cancer, sen. arlen specter, u.s. senate, pennsylvania, local/state
- 1 dead, multiple in custody after Logan standoff 1 min ago
- AccuWeather: Weather Whiplash
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 3 hit by car inside Famous Footwear in Chesco 40 min ago
- Deadly shooting near La Salle University
- Police: Woman, 21, stabbed grandfather to death
- Pedestrian struck in North Philadelphia
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's death
- Volunteer brutally assaulted outside Lehigh Co. church
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm
- Malaysian military: Missing jet changed course
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Photos: Pictures of planned Old city luxury tower 27 min ago