Downed power line sets house on fire in Delaware County, Pa.
SPRINGFIELD, Pa. - August 29, 2012 (WPVI) -- Firefighters battled a house fire in Delaware County Wednesday morning.
It broke out around 11:30 a.m. in the 200 block of Pancoast Road in Springfield.
Crews arrived to find that a utility pole had fallen, causing a power line to drop onto a home and ignite the roof.
They had to wait for a utility crew to shut off the power before they could douse the flames.
Peco tells Action News that the pole that fell was inspected on August 2nd and was scheduled for another inspection in October.
Peco said a utility crew from Verizon was working on the pole before it fell.
Verizon released the following statement Wednesday afternoon:
"Just before noon today, a Verizon technician working on a repair job disconnected a drop wire between a customer's home and a utility pole. When the wire was disconnected, the utility pole fell onto a neighboring home, sparking a fire from an attached transformer."
"This was an unfortunate accident, and luckily, no one was injured. The incident is currently under investigation."
Peco said the accident left 753 customers without power. As of 3:00 p.m. electricity had been restored to all but 90 customers and that all power was expected to be back on by Wednesday evening.
No injuries were reported from the downed line or the fire.
pennsylvania, fire, delaware county, local/state
- Philadelphia cop accused of ripping off drug dealers 29 min ago
- Warm and humid, 80s again today
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Report: FBI agent fatally shoots Tsarnaev associate
- Police ID victim in water ice stand homicide 29 min ago
- Hats get women ejected from KoP Mall 38 min ago
- Skippack student may have 'voluntarily' vanished
- Chesco man killed longtime girlfriend, police say
- Bar fight ends with 2 shot in SW Philadelphia
- Okla. residents come home to pick up the pieces
- Vatican insists that no papal exorcism took place
- Sleep monitors promise a better night's sleep
- Rob Jennings to retire after 36 Years at 6abc
- Police ID victim in water ice stand homicide
29 min ago
- TONIGHT at 11: How the right bra can make...
18 min ago