Father dies saving son from car; driver charged
NORTHEAST PHILADELPHIA - August 30, 2012 (WPVI) -- A Philadelphia man is facing serious charges after, police say, he drove drunk and killed a father who managed to push his young son out of harm's way.
Roderick Williams, 22, of the 3000 block of North 23rd Street is charged with homicide by vehicle, DUI and related offenses. He is also charged with simple assault and reckless endangerment for the injuries suffered by the child.
The crash happened in the southbound outer lanes of the Roosevelt Boulevard near Loney Street in Northeast Philadelphia around 11:00 p.m. Wednesday.
Officials tell Action News that Michael Romano, 43, of the 6900 block of Sylvester Street, was attempting to cross the Boulevard with his 5-year-old son when he was hit.
Romano was pronounced dead at the scene. His son was treated and released at the hospital, having only suffered a cut to his ear.
Police say they don't know where Romano was going or where he was coming from when he was hit. However, he and his wife had checked into a motel a few blocks away earlier in the night.
Romano and his son were not crossing at a crosswalk, investigators said.
Police say Williams, the driver of the striking vehicle, fled the scene. An off-duty police officer, who witnessed the accident, was able to pull over and arrest Williams a few blocks away.
Authorities add that Williams has a prior DUI conviction.
philadelphia, northeast philadelphia, accident, hit and run, pedestrian struck, DUI, local/state
- London theater partially collapses; 80 injured
- Record Weekend Warmth
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Security breach affected all cards, not just Target's
- Steps you can take to reduce fraud risk
- Is heroin addiction as close as your medicine cabinet? 13 min ago
- Philadelphia Police search for missing 2-year-old boy 41 min ago
- Attempted child luring in Newtown, Bucks County
- Holiday tips, cards stolen in East Pikeland Twp.
- Pastor defrocked after performing son's gay wedding
- Cat hoarder at Grace Kelly home found guilty
- 50 coworkers in Del. to split $1M Mega Millions ticket
- Bring old clothes to new H&M for savings
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos