Father dies saving son from car; driver charged
NORTHEAST PHILADELPHIA - August 30, 2012 (WPVI) -- A Philadelphia man is facing serious charges after, police say, he drove drunk and killed a father who managed to push his young son out of harm's way.
Roderick Williams, 22, of the 3000 block of North 23rd Street is charged with homicide by vehicle, DUI and related offenses. He is also charged with simple assault and reckless endangerment for the injuries suffered by the child.
The crash happened in the southbound outer lanes of the Roosevelt Boulevard near Loney Street in Northeast Philadelphia around 11:00 p.m. Wednesday.
Officials tell Action News that Michael Romano, 43, of the 6900 block of Sylvester Street, was attempting to cross the Boulevard with his 5-year-old son when he was hit.
Romano was pronounced dead at the scene. His son was treated and released at the hospital, having only suffered a cut to his ear.
Police say they don't know where Romano was going or where he was coming from when he was hit. However, he and his wife had checked into a motel a few blocks away earlier in the night.
Romano and his son were not crossing at a crosswalk, investigators said.
Police say Williams, the driver of the striking vehicle, fled the scene. An off-duty police officer, who witnessed the accident, was able to pull over and arrest Williams a few blocks away.
Authorities add that Williams has a prior DUI conviction.
philadelphia, northeast philadelphia, accident, hit and run, pedestrian struck, DUI, local/state
- Photos: Pictures from Easter Sunday services
- AccuWeather: Easter to be comfortable, breezy
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Video: 5,000 turn out for Easter service in Mt. Airy
- Pope Francis, huge crowd joyously celebrate Easter
- Boxer Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter dies at 76
- Man shot, killed in Gloucester Twp. apartment
- Man found shot in minivan in Tioga-Nicetown
- Girl hospitalized after near-drowning in Philly hotel
- 2 injured after car hits Camden police cruiser
- Man targeted in Collingdale hit-and-run ID'd
- Divers pull more bodies from sunken South Korean ferry
- Video: Snowmobiler charged by angry moose