Bail hearing for NJ man accused of in-flight abuse
NEWARK, N.J. (AP) - Auigust 30, 2012 (WPVI) -- A bail hearing is scheduled to continue Thursday for a New Jersey man accused of sexually abusing a sleeping woman on a cross-country flight.
Federal authorities say the woman awoke on the Aug. 20 flight from Phoenix to Newark to find Bawer Aksal of North Bergen with his hands inside her clothing.
Aksal has denied through his attorney that he abused the woman.
U.S. Magistrate Judge Madeline Cox Arleo, who is hearing the case in Newark, has delayed setting bail for Aksal until she receives more information on his United States and Turkish passports.
Prosecutors say Aksal, a Turkish-born U.S. citizen, is a flight risk. But Aksal said through his lawyer that he is a Kurd who fled persecution and has no desire to return to Turkey.
abuse, new jersey, local/state
- Photos: AccuWeather Maps: Snow arrives
- Snow will turn the ground white again!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Woman, 98, injured in Powelton high-rise fire
- Mike Schmidt reveals skin cancer battle
- Police: Driver, who hit pedestrian, hit by car
- Malaysian police examine pilot's flight simulator
- Crimeans vote to leave Ukraine, join Russia
- March Madness: Villanova, St. Joe's, UDel all in
- Delaware man suspected in 14 different thefts
- NJ salon customer allegedly attacks employees
- NJ state police trooper among 3 injured in crash
- Book 'em! Wilmington cop donates books to kids