Bail hearing for NJ man accused of in-flight abuse
NEWARK, N.J. (AP) - Auigust 30, 2012 (WPVI) -- A bail hearing is scheduled to continue Thursday for a New Jersey man accused of sexually abusing a sleeping woman on a cross-country flight.
Federal authorities say the woman awoke on the Aug. 20 flight from Phoenix to Newark to find Bawer Aksal of North Bergen with his hands inside her clothing.
Aksal has denied through his attorney that he abused the woman.
U.S. Magistrate Judge Madeline Cox Arleo, who is hearing the case in Newark, has delayed setting bail for Aksal until she receives more information on his United States and Turkish passports.
Prosecutors say Aksal, a Turkish-born U.S. citizen, is a flight risk. But Aksal said through his lawyer that he is a Kurd who fled persecution and has no desire to return to Turkey.
abuse, new jersey, local/state
- School Closings & Delays
- Snow walloping Philadelphia area
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Storm brings snowy, icy conditions to Pa., NJ
- 1 dead, 50+ vehicles involved in Pa. Turnpike crashes
- Nearly 1 foot of snow in parts of Delaware
- Video: Snow-lovers sled down Art Museum steps
- Video: Time lapse of snow at the Linc
- Eagles beat Lions 34-20 in the snow
- Video: Phila. students dig out cars stuck in slush
- Video: Widener U. track team helps stuck drivers
- Man dressed as Santa struck, killed on I-95
- Paul Walker memorial in California draws thousands