DA drops charges in rec center rape case
PHILADELPHIA - August 31, 2012 (WPVI) -- Prosecutors have withdrawn charges against five young teens charged with raping a 12-year-old girl at a Philadelphia recreation center.
The Philadelphia district attorney's office said Friday that an investigation determined there was not enough evidence to pursue charges in this case.
The 14- and 15-year-old boys had been charged with raping the girl in a stairwell at a busy recreation center on the evening of July 16. They were on house arrest and were supposed to stand trial next month.
Prosecutors did not elaborate on why the charges were dropped.
philadelphia, rape, teens, local/state
- Drexel student found dead in sorority house
- AccuWeather: mild today, rain Wednesday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Reward offered in Collingdale hit-and-run
- Hunt for missing Malaysian jet widens to distant waters 12 min ago
- 6 students hurt in Camden Co. school bus crash 18 min ago
- Pa. Turnpike pileup focus of senate hearing 16 min ago
- 2nd suspect sought in finger-biting attack
- Woman shot in bed in South Philadelphia
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp. explosion
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- Photos: Thwarted! 10 suspects caught in the act
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos