DA drops charges in rec center rape case
PHILADELPHIA - August 31, 2012 (WPVI) -- Prosecutors have withdrawn charges against five young teens charged with raping a 12-year-old girl at a Philadelphia recreation center.
The Philadelphia district attorney's office said Friday that an investigation determined there was not enough evidence to pursue charges in this case.
The 14- and 15-year-old boys had been charged with raping the girl in a stairwell at a busy recreation center on the evening of July 16. They were on house arrest and were supposed to stand trial next month.
Prosecutors did not elaborate on why the charges were dropped.
philadelphia, rape, teens, local/state
- Police probe pizza deliveryman shooting in SW Phila.
- Sunny, blustery winds today 46 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Family escapes burning home in Bucks Co. 34 min ago
- Forest fire up to 1500 acres in Cumberland Co. 6 min ago
- Police search for gunman in Germantown bar shooting 2 min ago
- Eye doc grew pot in Delco home, police say
- Photos: 23 wanted in Phila. insurance fraud scheme
- WCU investigates indecent assault, carjacking attempt
- MLK football documentary premieres in NYC
- Philadelphia Eagles 2014 game schedule
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Photos: People's 'Most Beautiful' list of 2014
- Sunny, blustery winds today
46 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos