NJ man dies after fight outside Jimmy Buffett concert
CAMDEN, N.J. - September 1, 2012 (WPVI) -- Authorities say a southern New Jersey man who was seriously injured in a fight outside a Jimmy Buffett concert in Camden this week has died.
Camden County Prosecutor's Office spokesman Jason Laughlin says 20-year-old Ryan Coyle of Bellmawr died Friday night at Cooper Hospital in Camden. But a cause of death has not been disclosed.
Authorities say the victim fell and hit his head on the pavement when an acquaintance came up behind him and punched him. Authorities have not said what sparked the fight, which occurred in a parking lot before Tuesday night's concert at the Susquehanna Bank Center in Camden.
The alleged assailant, 21-year-old Matthew Shields of Westville, has been charged with aggravated assault. Laughlin says prosecutors haven't decided whether Shields will face upgraded charges following Coyle's death.The Colye family issued a statement Saturday saying, "Words are not enough to express the feeling of grief and loss that we have in losing Ryan. Ryan was gentle, kind, loving, full of laughter and goofiness. Ryan shared so many special moments with us that it would take up way too much space to share, but those moments will be written in our hearts for the rest of our lives. We appreciate the support and prayers of so many who have reached out, and we ask that you continue to pray for healing and peace."
new jersey, camden county, fight, local/state
- Skydiver ID'd in fatal Washing Twp. accident
- 70s Return This Week
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- $10K to $30K stolen in Target armed robbery
- I-95 reopens after car catches fire
- Person of interest ID'd in Collingdale hit-and-run
- Residents displaced after West Philadelphia fire
- 4 injured in Route 295 crash
- Camden teen reported missing
- Miss America: Don't suspend teen over prom invite
- Oscar Mayer hot dogs recalled due to misbranding
- Photos: Pictures from Easter Sunday services
- Photos: Jamie Apody welcomes Baby Chase!