Police: Body found off Wildwood, NJ is missing officer
WILDWOOD, N.J. - September 4, 2012 (WPVI) -- NJ State Police have confirmed to Action News that a body found off the coast of Wildwood, NJ Sunday is that of missing Middle Township Police Officer Jason Sill.
The cause and manner of Sill's death are still under investigation.
Sill's body was found by a boater at about 3:00 p.m. Sunday, six nautical miles off the coast of Wildwood, N.J.
The Coast Guard responded to the scene and retrieved the body. Authorities say the body had a tattoo similar to one Sill had.
It was then transferred to the medical examiner's office for positive identification.
Officer Sill was last seen taking his boat out from the Pier 47 Marina in Wildwood around 9:30 a.m. on Monday, August 27th. Witnesses said he was alone. Police say he told others that he intended to go fishing in the bay.
An hour and 15 minutes later, around 10:45 a.m., the Coast Guard and members of the State Police Atlantic City Marine Station found Sill's boat unoccupied in the ocean a mile from shore.
The 39-year-old Sill of Cape May Courthouse was married with an 18-year-old daughter. His wife, Madonna, is a Middle Township police dispatcher.
new jersey, cape may county, missing boater, local/state
- Building under demolition collapses in Old City 6 min ago
- Windy and cold today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Photos: Pictures of Old City building collapse 50 min ago
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- 5 arrested after Logan murder, standoff 29 min ago
- Police: Coatesville man died before fire began 33 min ago
- 3rd suspect ID'd in Exton jewelry store theft
- Malaysia: No debris in area shown on China images
- Mississippi man who awakened inside body bag dies
- 7th body recovered after NYC explosion
- Christie talks taxes at town hall meeting
- Video: Man punches boy, 8, steals his iPad