Police: Body found off Wildwood, NJ is missing officer
WILDWOOD, N.J. - September 4, 2012 (WPVI) -- NJ State Police have confirmed to Action News that a body found off the coast of Wildwood, NJ Sunday is that of missing Middle Township Police Officer Jason Sill.
The cause and manner of Sill's death are still under investigation.
Sill's body was found by a boater at about 3:00 p.m. Sunday, six nautical miles off the coast of Wildwood, N.J.
The Coast Guard responded to the scene and retrieved the body. Authorities say the body had a tattoo similar to one Sill had.
It was then transferred to the medical examiner's office for positive identification.
Officer Sill was last seen taking his boat out from the Pier 47 Marina in Wildwood around 9:30 a.m. on Monday, August 27th. Witnesses said he was alone. Police say he told others that he intended to go fishing in the bay.
An hour and 15 minutes later, around 10:45 a.m., the Coast Guard and members of the State Police Atlantic City Marine Station found Sill's boat unoccupied in the ocean a mile from shore.
The 39-year-old Sill of Cape May Courthouse was married with an 18-year-old daughter. His wife, Madonna, is a Middle Township police dispatcher.
new jersey, cape may county, missing boater, local/state
- Traffic stop turns violent, police shoot suspect
- A Nice Stretch
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Get the new 6abc StormTracker app
- 10-year-old Wilmington boy reported missing 28 min ago
- Mourning NJ doctor killed in murder-suicide
- Maple syrup used to vandalize Pottstown church 31 min ago
- Award-winning journalist Michael Hastings dies 40 min ago
- Paraplegic man castrated in SW Phila. attack
- Car carrier crashes into bridge in Whitemarsh Twp.
- Storms bring floods to the Jersey shore
- Police: Girl used in theft at Phila. nail salon
- Death investigation leads police to home of Patriots TE
- James, Heat push NBA Finals to Game 7
- Maple syrup used to vandalize Pottstown...
31 min ago
- Award-winning journalist Michael Hastings...
40 min ago