Police: Body found off Wildwood, NJ is missing officer
WILDWOOD, N.J. - September 4, 2012 (WPVI) -- NJ State Police have confirmed to Action News that a body found off the coast of Wildwood, NJ Sunday is that of missing Middle Township Police Officer Jason Sill.
The cause and manner of Sill's death are still under investigation.
Sill's body was found by a boater at about 3:00 p.m. Sunday, six nautical miles off the coast of Wildwood, N.J.
The Coast Guard responded to the scene and retrieved the body. Authorities say the body had a tattoo similar to one Sill had.
It was then transferred to the medical examiner's office for positive identification.
Officer Sill was last seen taking his boat out from the Pier 47 Marina in Wildwood around 9:30 a.m. on Monday, August 27th. Witnesses said he was alone. Police say he told others that he intended to go fishing in the bay.
An hour and 15 minutes later, around 10:45 a.m., the Coast Guard and members of the State Police Atlantic City Marine Station found Sill's boat unoccupied in the ocean a mile from shore.
The 39-year-old Sill of Cape May Courthouse was married with an 18-year-old daughter. His wife, Madonna, is a Middle Township police dispatcher.
new jersey, cape may county, missing boater, local/state
- Police: NJ mom drives van into river with 3 kids 52 min ago
- Freeze Warning overnight 50 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Trash truck overturns on Rt. 130 in Pennsauken
- Mom sought after daughter, 11, shot and killed
- All-clear given after Liberty H.S. lockdown
- Voorhees police need help identifying this man
- Burlco man charged in brother's hit-and-run death
- Boy dies after Mayfair drowning incident
- Search for missing teenager in Camden
- Chestnut Hill College student found dead
- Made In America Festival in Philly and LA
- Photos: Royal family kicks off tour of Australia
- Freeze Warning overnight
50 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos