Marvel's Venom pulls up NYC stake for Philly steak
PHILADELPHIA (AP) - September 3, 2012 (WPVI) -- Philly's getting a new fan in the pages of Marvel Comics, but whether the City of Brotherly Shove takes to anti-hero Venom remains to be seen.
Marvel Entertainment LLC says that Venom - a brute with big teeth and an elongated tongue who's made a habit of sparring with Spider-Man - is leaving New York City to start fresh, and maybe learn to be a hero on the streets of Philadelphia.
Writer Cullen Bunn and Editor Tom Brennan, an alum of Philadelphia's Drexel University, say it's time Philly had a hero of its own, putting it in the same league as Los Angeles, New York and other real-life cities that populate Marvel's fictional world.
Is Venom the hero that Philly wants? Their story begins Dec. 19 in "Venom" No. 28.
new york city, pennsylvania, local/state
- 1 dead, multiple in custody after Logan standoff 42 min ago
- AccuWeather: Weather Whiplash
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 3 hit by car inside Famous Footwear in Chesco
- Deadly shooting near La Salle University
- Police: Woman, 21, stabbed grandfather to death
- Pedestrian struck in North Philadelphia
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's death
- Volunteer brutally assaulted outside Lehigh Co. church
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm
- Malaysian military: Missing jet changed course
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Photos: Pictures of planned Old city luxury tower