Dreary end to Labor Day weekend at the shore
OCEAN CITY, N.J. - September 3, 2012 (WPVI) -- The weather at the shore wasn't the best for Labor Day beach-goers, many of them making a mass exodus early on the final day of the holiday weekend.
Traffic was steady as people exited shore towns this Labor Day, the unofficial end of the summer season. For many, it was time to go home.
"We spent a few days on the beach. The weather held out. We went to the boardwalk, did mini golfing, went on rides, had some pizza, and now we're done," said
Packing up wasn't too sad for this family of 7; they're heading back to Philadelphia in time to attend a Bruce Springsteen concert Monday night.
But for two young men who work at the Flanders Hotel, saying goodbye to summer is emotional as they leave their seasonal friends and head back home to Jamaica for college.
"I think I'll miss the atmosphere and people here the most," said George Robinson.
"It's really hard because I made some good friends here," said Dajon Daley.
Bittersweet is how the director of hotel operations Peter Voudouris describes summer's end.
"Everybody's burnt out," said Voudouris. "It was a busy summer. We reflect on it; sad it comes to an end, but it comes back around quickly."
Boardwalk business held steady this season as Gus Herrera with Primavera Restaurant tells us Mother Nature made sales a bit challenging.
"July was really hot, and when it's hot people don't want to walk on the boardwalk," said Gus.
The perfect boardwalk forecast came Monday, cloudy and cool. Several families walked the boards and picked up last minute souvenirs as summer 2012 comes to an end.
new jersey, jersey shore, local/state, jennifer joyce
- Parking dispute turns violent at Cherry Hill Mall
- Sunny and chilly
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Mutilated animal found in North Philadelphia
- 'Band of Brothers' vet William Guarnere dies at 90 13 min ago
- Vietnam says it may have found missing jet's door 7 min ago
- Mom accused of driving into surf goes before judge 5 min ago
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera 25 min ago
- Residents return following Bucks Co. hazmat
- Man, 22, dies after shooting in Chester
- Man seriously injured in crash on Roosevelt Blvd.
- Gunfire erupts on Delaware Ave. near SugarHouse Casino
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Vietnam says it may have found missing...
7 min ago