Charge upgraded in NJ concert beating death
CAMDEN, N.J. - September 4, 2012 (WPVI) -- Authorities have upgraded charges against a South Jersey man accused of assaulting an acquaintance outside a Jimmy Buffett concert in Camden last week. The victim died of his injuries three days after the assault.
The Camden County Prosecutor's Office says 21-year-old Matthew Shields of Westville is now charged with aggravated manslaughter.
He is accused of punching 20-year-old Ryan Coyle of Bellmawr before last Tuesday night's concert at the Susquehanna Bank Center on the shore of the Delaware River.
Authorities say Coyle fell and hit his head on the pavement in the parking lot after being hit from behind. He died Friday night at Cooper Hospital in Camden.
Shields was initially charged with aggravated assault. His arraignment was set for Tuesday afternoon.
new jersey, camden county, fight, local/state
- Violent Chester police confrontation caught on video
- Lots of sun, chilly today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Lockdown lifted at Pennsbury High School
- Multi-alarm fire at NJ apartment complex 1 min ago
- Western Pa. school reopens after stabbings
- Multiple arrests after fight in bar parking lot
- High winds bring damage to Abington Twp.
- 19-year-old struck, killed in Bordentown ID'd
- 292 missing, 4 dead in South Korea ferry disaster 48 min ago
- Chaka Fattah Jr. files $10 million federal lawsuit
- Free coffee as Wawa celebrates 50th
- Video: Boy gets stuck in claw arcade game
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos