Phila. dad charged in drug-laced bottle death
PHILADELPHIA - September 4, 2012 (WPVI) -- A Philadelphia man will head to trial in the death of his infant son, who prosecutors say died in his arms after drinking a heroin-laced baby bottle.
The bottle contained trace amounts of heroin along with methadone, a prescribed drug used to treat heroin addicts, authorities said.
Police don't think the May 11 death was intentional, according to Tasha Jamerson, a spokeswoman with the Philadelphia District Attorney's Office.
Detectives believe father and son had fallen asleep after Orlando Rosado prepared the bottle for a 3 a.m. feeding. Rosado awoke to find the infant cold and limp in a pool of vomit.
Rosado, 45, waived a preliminary hearing Tuesday on third-degree murder, involuntary manslaughter, drug delivery causing death and other charges. He's being held on $1 million bail, which a judge refused to lower.
"We're actively investigating the case at this point," defense lawyer Bruce Wolf said, declining to elaborate.
Both Rosado and his girlfriend tried to resuscitate their child and called for help after finding him unresponsive.
Rosado had served at least a year in prison in a 2005 drug case, court records show.
In 2010, a Chester County man pleaded guilty to third-degree murder after admitting he had mixed methadone and the sleep-inducer Ambien into drinks for his 23-month-old son to keep him quiet. A prosecutor said the March 2009 death didn't appear intentional, though the drug levels found far exceeded the amount that would typically kill a child of that age. Ian Kohn, 31, of Phoenixville, is serving a 20- to 40-year prison term.
philadelphia, baby death, local/state
- American U: campus on lockdown, gunman reported 19 min ago
- Bitter Blast Thursday
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Man shocked by electrical cable in East Falls 45 min ago
- Dump truck hits ATV pulling sled, boy killed 52 min ago
- Woman charged in boyfriend's heroin death
- Upper Darby man accused of burning son, 3 54 min ago
- Prosecutor: no charges against George Zimmerman
- Narcotic officers raid Lacey High School
- Shooting victim drives to Broad St. police station
- Power returns after outage at Christiana Mall
- New video shows deadly Asiana jet crash
- On video: Robber dives thru window, attacks clerk
- Upper Darby man accused of burning son, 3
54 min ago