NWS confirms: Tornado hit Camden County (PHOTOS)
MOUNT EPHRAIM, N.J. - September 5, 2012 (WPVI) -- The National Weather Service confirms that a tornado hit Camden County, New Jersey on Tuesday evening.
In a report issued Wednesday morning, the NWS confirmed the tornado hit at 6:31 p.m. near Mount Ephraim.
The twister was classified as an EF-0 with 70 mile per hour winds. It had a path 75 feet wide and was 120 yards long.
The tornado's strong winds brought down a number of trees and power lines.
"All of a sudden we heard this real loud wind. It really did, like they say, sound like a train," said Mary Crumbock of Mount Ephraim. "We decided we'd better get in the house real quick. Then, everything started spinning out here. The tree went down, the shingles came off the roof and, within minutes, it seemed like total destruction."
Paramedic Jeremy Sutton captured dramatic video near the Bellmawr football field.
"And we started seeing a rotation in the clouds. I never seen a tornado before, it was kind of a rush," Sutton said.
Sutton says the video didn't capture it, but he could actually see debris swirling around.
Bellmawr Resident Heather Nielsen and her husband who were standing outside also saw what appeared to them to be a tornado funnel taking shape.
"We just saw the funnel start and the next thing we know, the wind started picking up; he yelled to get in the house, and the whole house started shaking and trees were flying. It was the scariest thing I've ever witnessed," Nielsen said.
When it was all over, high winds brought down a number of large trees, one of them causing significant damage on Scott Eiser's property in the 500 block of Fir Place.
"The house is okay, no structural damage or anything," Eiser said.
Eiser was grateful he had another tree which seemed to have stopped the striking one from hitting his house.
At the time of this incident, the National Weather Service had issued a tornado warning for the area.
Fortunately, no injuries have been reported.
new jersey, camden county, tornado, severe weather, local/state
- Would-be robber stabbed; suspect's mom talks
- Periods of rain today, getting cooler 36 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Funeral for Nelson Mandela to be held Dec. 15th 43 min ago
- Photos: Nelson Mandela: Through the years
- Video: Jim Gardner recalls visiting Mandela's cell
- Center City rape victim speaks to Action News
- Reward offered after dogs found in trash bags
- 2 women hospitalized after Schuylkill Expy. crash
- Police raid alleged chop shop in North Philadelphia
- Feds accused of targeting minorities in stash house stings
- Surveillance video shows Christmas package theft
- Police: Teen stole Porsche part from Paul Walker crash