NWS confirms: Tornado hit Camden County (PHOTOS)
MOUNT EPHRAIM, N.J. - September 5, 2012 (WPVI) -- The National Weather Service confirms that a tornado hit Camden County, New Jersey on Tuesday evening.
In a report issued Wednesday morning, the NWS confirmed the tornado hit at 6:31 p.m. near Mount Ephraim.
The twister was classified as an EF-0 with 70 mile per hour winds. It had a path 75 feet wide and was 120 yards long.
The tornado's strong winds brought down a number of trees and power lines.
"All of a sudden we heard this real loud wind. It really did, like they say, sound like a train," said Mary Crumbock of Mount Ephraim. "We decided we'd better get in the house real quick. Then, everything started spinning out here. The tree went down, the shingles came off the roof and, within minutes, it seemed like total destruction."
Paramedic Jeremy Sutton captured dramatic video near the Bellmawr football field.
"And we started seeing a rotation in the clouds. I never seen a tornado before, it was kind of a rush," Sutton said.
Sutton says the video didn't capture it, but he could actually see debris swirling around.
Bellmawr Resident Heather Nielsen and her husband who were standing outside also saw what appeared to them to be a tornado funnel taking shape.
"We just saw the funnel start and the next thing we know, the wind started picking up; he yelled to get in the house, and the whole house started shaking and trees were flying. It was the scariest thing I've ever witnessed," Nielsen said.
When it was all over, high winds brought down a number of large trees, one of them causing significant damage on Scott Eiser's property in the 500 block of Fir Place.
"The house is okay, no structural damage or anything," Eiser said.
Eiser was grateful he had another tree which seemed to have stopped the striking one from hitting his house.
At the time of this incident, the National Weather Service had issued a tornado warning for the area.
Fortunately, no injuries have been reported.
new jersey, camden county, tornado, severe weather, local/state
- Drexel student found dead in sorority house 16 min ago
- AccuWeather: mild today, rain Wednesday 39 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Reward offered in Collingdale hit-and-run 12 min ago
- Iranian teen had stolen passport on missing jet
- 2nd suspect sought in finger-biting attack
- Woman shot in bed in South Philadelphia
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp. explosion
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife
- Pa. woman born at Burger King seeks birth mom
- Photos: Thwarted! 10 suspects caught in the act
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- Video: Dad ditches son's stroller to catch baseball
- AccuWeather: mild today, rain Wednesday
39 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos