Golfers come to rescue of heart attack victim
FAIRLESS HILLS, Pa. - September 4, 2012 (WPVI) -- In Fairless Hills, Bucks County, they honored the men who came to the aid of a golfer, who collapsed and lay dying right on the course.
Paralysis took out his right arm when he was a teenager, but retiree Thomas Hosbach was determined to take up golf.
"I started watching and I'm thinking it doesn't look like these guys are swinging that hard so I decided to give it a try," Hosbach said.
The 67-year-old Morrisville man has had some good games on the Oxford Valley Golf Course in Fairless Hills, but back in April, he suffered a massive heart attack on the green.
"Basically, I feel like I was dead right when I hit the ground," Hosbach said.
As Hosbach laid here in cardiac arrest, he thought he had seen his last days on the course until three fellow golfers came to his rescue.
Ken Morgan called 911, Joe Meyers helped with the resuscitation, and Peter Horsley did the bulk of the CPR, something he learned when he was 11, but never used.
"I was scared to death and I was yelling at Tom every time I had a chance for him to wake up," Horsley of Newtown, Pa. said.
Hosbach's heart stopped for a staggering 40 minutes.
He credits his doctors at Aria Health Bucks County which featured him its magazine.
But he knows he also wouldn't be here without the fast actions of the three men and the entire team of first responders from Fairless Hill Fire Department and Levittown-Fairless Hills Rescue Squad.
All were honored at Tuesday night's Falls Township Board of Supervisors Meeting.
"One doesn't survive without the other. If the civilians don't call 911, if they don't start CPR, it doesn't give our paramedics, our firefighters a fighting chance to save someone's life," Chief Christopher Reif of the Levittown-Fairless Hills Rescue Squad said.
Now Hosbach is fighting to get back on the course.
With the stroke of luck he's had, he's sure he can do it.
pennsylvania, bucks county, rescue, local/state, kenneth moton
- Target confirms breach; up to 40M affected
- Turning Milder
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Man dies in fast-moving blaze in Talleyville 27 min ago
- Police search for suspects in religious store robbery
- Jewelry thieves target Montgomery Co. open houses
- Elderly couple's life savings stolen in Media
- Purse snatcher at Willow Grove Mall caught on camera 45 min ago
- Police: Man shoots self on SEPTA bus
- $6M counterfeit check ring busted in Phila.
- Phil Robertson off 'Duck Dynasty' after gay comments
- Barbara Walters' Most Fascinating Person revealed
- Video: Christmas tree comes to life in school prank
- Man dies in fast-moving blaze in Talleyville
27 min ago
- Purse snatcher at Willow Grove Mall caught...
45 min ago