100,000 meals distributed to needy Phila. families
PHILADELPHIA - September 5, 2012 (WPVI) -- The Philadelphia School District has partnered with a national charity, Feeding children Everywhere who distributed 100,000 meals to families in need throughout the city on Wednesday.
"This is the first time the organization has reached out to the school district, and I am just blessed that we were there to answer the phone and take the call," said Claudia Averette from the office of Family and Parent Engagement.
The food comes from the social charity "Feeding Children Everywhere" that mobilizes people to assemble healthy meals for hungry children.
"There is lentils and rice that you can just use hot water, and what better way to feed families and fill the void of hunger than to be able to feed them a hot meal," said Averette.
More than 75 churches and community groups came to pick up meals to feed their congregations and neighborhood families Wednesday.
"We started as early as 9:30 a.m. this morning. We had a 10:00 a.m. pick-up, and they started coming in early this morning," said Karen James, Director of Operations.
Each box contains 288 lentil casserole meals.
"We're having a parent appreciation day on October 20the, so we will be giving the food out to the parents that come to the Appreciation Day. We are also having something today at MLK, so we will be giving parents the food today," said Sylvia Simms from Parent Power.
Rain forced the annual block party at Martin Luther King Promise Academy inside Wednesday where meals were distributed to neighborhood families.
"I was very happy to get it, because it is whole grain, and I believe in healthy food for me and my family," said Kalimah Porter.
"It will be easier for us to deliver the content that we need to deliver so these children will be college and career ready," said William Wade, Martin Luther King High School Principal.
"Feeding the Children Everywhere" says distributing 100,000 meals in one city in one day is the easy part. They say the need is to put 100 million meals in public school food pantries across the United States every year.
food, children, school, philadelphia, local/state, lisa thomas-laury
- Kutztown coach accused of covering up teen's rape 35 min ago
- Clouds, some sun, mild today
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Police ID suspect in Camden Marine's murder
- Hunting Park standoff ends with surrender
- Toys for Tots: Woman on video was volunteer 41 min ago
- Man critically injured in hit-and-run in SW Philly
- Police cruiser involved in Tacony crash
- Co-host of HGTV show killed in motorcycle crash
- Man survives 3 days at bottom of Atlantic
- Sophia, Jackson most popular baby names of 2013
- Photos: Paul Walker: Pictures of crash scene, vigil
- Photos: Open House: Pat Croce's $7.95M mansion
- Kutztown coach accused of covering up...
35 min ago