Man ambushed and murdered in Olney
OLNEY - September 6, 2012 (WPVI) -- Police say they are searching for the gunmen who ambushed a man and shot him multiple times in Olney early Thursday morning.
The shooting happened around 12:30 a.m. on the 200 block of West Duncanon Avenue.
Officials say Willie Izzard was sitting on a porch of a house when he was approached by three men.
The suspects opened fire using two types of weapons, a 9mm and a .22 caliber gun.
According to reports, 24 shots were fired, striking Izzard multiple times in the face and chest.
He then ran upstairs and collapsed where he was pronounced dead by medics.
"It was horrifying because there was no reason. He never did anything to hurt anybody," said Izzard's mother. "My 31-year-old son was a good guy and a joy to my life."
Police believed Izzard lived at the home and may have been targeted. However his mother stated he lived with her in Southwest Philadelphia.
She said, he was taking a friend home when he was shot.
The three suspects were last seen fleeing on the 5200 block of American Street.
Police are interviewing family members and other witnesses.
shooting, homicide, olney, philadelphia, local/state
- Ohio couple married 70 years die 15 hours apart
- Egg-cellent holiday weekend
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Police: Man targeted in hit-and-run crash 40 min ago
- NJ woman: Dog and TV stolen on 1st date 23 min ago
- Prescription drug ring busted at Aria-Torresdale Hospital 26 min ago
- Family pets die in house blaze in Newark, Del.
- Captain of sunken S. Korean ferry, 2 crew arrested
- Search teams recover body of 13th Sherpa
- Authorities searching Delaware River for boater
- Police: Store owner victimizes teens with Taser
- Pedestrian struck by train in Plymouth Meeting
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police