Man ambushed and murdered in Olney
OLNEY - September 6, 2012 (WPVI) -- Police say they are searching for the gunmen who ambushed a man and shot him multiple times in Olney early Thursday morning.
The shooting happened around 12:30 a.m. on the 200 block of West Duncanon Avenue.
Officials say Willie Izzard was sitting on a porch of a house when he was approached by three men.
The suspects opened fire using two types of weapons, a 9mm and a .22 caliber gun.
According to reports, 24 shots were fired, striking Izzard multiple times in the face and chest.
He then ran upstairs and collapsed where he was pronounced dead by medics.
"It was horrifying because there was no reason. He never did anything to hurt anybody," said Izzard's mother. "My 31-year-old son was a good guy and a joy to my life."
Police believed Izzard lived at the home and may have been targeted. However his mother stated he lived with her in Southwest Philadelphia.
She said, he was taking a friend home when he was shot.
The three suspects were last seen fleeing on the 5200 block of American Street.
Police are interviewing family members and other witnesses.
shooting, homicide, olney, philadelphia, local/state
- Teacher says he was fired because he is gay
- Wintry Weekend
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- 2nd suspect surrenders in Christmas package theft
- Temple University cuts 7 intercollegiate sports
- SEPTA bus strikes and kills man
- Residents displaced after high-rise fire
- Man freed from under train on Broad Street Line
- NKorea says it deported US tourist and war vet
- Victim ID'd in deadly Wilmington hit-and-run
- Video released in pizza delivery driver shooting
- Mega Million jackpot reaches $297 Million
- Elkins Park sisters treated at KoP by Make-a-Wish