Briefing on security incident at Phila. Int'l Airport | LIVE at 11am on 6abc.com
SOUTHWEST PHILADELPHIA - September 6, 2012 (WPVI) -- A US Airways flight destined for Dallas, Texas was ordered back to Philadelphia International Airport this morning due to a threat of explosives on the plane.
Philadelphia police say it was a little after 7:00 a.m. Thursday when they received a call from a person stating that a specific individual had explosive liquid on him and was attempting to get it past TSA and onto a flight to Dallas.
PHOTOS of threat response at Philly Int'l Airport: WEBSITE and iPAD VISITORS | WIRELESS VISITORS
It was later learned that the individual implicated on the tip call was on US Airways flight 1267 that had already departed at 7:39 a.m. to Dallas.
Authorities ordered the Airbus A-319 to return to the airport. The flight arrived back in Philadelphia where officials boarded the plane.
Sources on the scene tell Action News that a person of interest was then taken into police custody. The unidentified male has since been transferred into FBI custody and transported from the scene.
Action News cameras captured video of some of the passengers being escorted off the plane and onto airport buses. Sources tell us that there were a total of 74 people onboard the plane - 69 passengers and 5 crew members.
Around 9:30 a.m. the all clear was given following a search of the plane. Sources on scene tell Action News that several passengers sitting near the person of interest are being re-interviewed at the scene. Other passengers are being taken back to the terminal to make other arrangements.
Officials are planning a briefing at 11:00 a.m. when more details will be released.
Philadelphia International Airport remains open at this time. Several flights from Philadelphia to Dallas scheduled for later today are now being delayed.
Stay with Action News and 6abc.com as more information becomes available.
philadelphia, dallas, bomb scare, local/state
- 4 charged with murder in deadly NJ mall carjacking
- Record Warmth!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Police investigate tire slashings in South Philadelphia
- Arrest in death of retired Villanova professor
- Police investigate truck accident on Roosevelt Boulevard
- Police investigate double shooting in Mantua 27 min ago
- 3 rescued after car plunges into Delaware pond
- 2 suspects wanted in home invasion in Dover
- Runway littered with holiday mail
- Student robbed at gunpoint inside Philly school
- Missing 2-year-old found, mom's ex-boyfriend arrested
- Carolers to perform to grant cancer patient her wish