Briefing on security incident at Phila. Int'l Airport | LIVE at 11am on 6abc.com
SOUTHWEST PHILADELPHIA - September 6, 2012 (WPVI) -- A US Airways flight destined for Dallas, Texas was ordered back to Philadelphia International Airport this morning due to a threat of explosives on the plane.
Philadelphia police say it was a little after 7:00 a.m. Thursday when they received a call from a person stating that a specific individual had explosive liquid on him and was attempting to get it past TSA and onto a flight to Dallas.
PHOTOS of threat response at Philly Int'l Airport: WEBSITE and iPAD VISITORS | WIRELESS VISITORS
It was later learned that the individual implicated on the tip call was on US Airways flight 1267 that had already departed at 7:39 a.m. to Dallas.
Authorities ordered the Airbus A-319 to return to the airport. The flight arrived back in Philadelphia where officials boarded the plane.
Sources on the scene tell Action News that a person of interest was then taken into police custody. The unidentified male has since been transferred into FBI custody and transported from the scene.
Action News cameras captured video of some of the passengers being escorted off the plane and onto airport buses. Sources tell us that there were a total of 74 people onboard the plane - 69 passengers and 5 crew members.
Around 9:30 a.m. the all clear was given following a search of the plane. Sources on scene tell Action News that several passengers sitting near the person of interest are being re-interviewed at the scene. Other passengers are being taken back to the terminal to make other arrangements.
Officials are planning a briefing at 11:00 a.m. when more details will be released.
Philadelphia International Airport remains open at this time. Several flights from Philadelphia to Dallas scheduled for later today are now being delayed.
Stay with Action News and 6abc.com as more information becomes available.
philadelphia, dallas, bomb scare, local/state
- Montco hall closes weeks before bride's wedding 10 min ago
- Frost Advisory Overnight 55 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Water main break cancels Cheyney U. classes 55 min ago
- Heist investigation leads to Roxborough apartment 30 min ago
- 1 dead, 1 wounded in Crescentville shooting
- Stalkers have QVC host living in fear
- McNabb serves 1-day sentence after DUI arrest
- 13 pound baby born at Delco hospital
- Tour bus catches fire in Galloway Twp.
- Police: NJ mom drives van into river with 3 kids
- WWII vet gets anonymous surprise in Bucks Co.
- Rangers top Flyers in playoff opener 4-1 51 min ago
- Frost Advisory Overnight
55 min ago
- Heist investigation leads to Roxborough...
30 min ago