Police: Man imprisoned disabled victim in Phila. home
PHILADELPHIA - September 6, 2012 (WPVI) -- Police have charged a Philadelphia man with imprisoning a deaf and mute victim so he could steal his Social Security checks.
Investigators said Thursday that 56-year-old Dwayne Young kept the man locked in a basement for four months while cashing his benefit checks.
Capt. Laurence Nodiff says Young threatened 63-year-old William Richardson into signing the checks.
Nodiff says police are investigating whether Young had committed similar acts before against his common-law wife, who died in March.
Police who raided Young's home on Sunday found Richardson locked in a basement.
Investigators say Young kidnapped Richardson in April near where he worked as a handyman in South Philadelphia.
Young was arraigned Wednesday and held on $1 million bail. Court records don't list an attorney for him.
philadelphia, abuse, local/state
- Partial house collapse in Strawberry Mansion 13 min ago
- Brief Surge of Mild Air
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Man,90, dies in Hamilton Township house fire 32 min ago
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp. explosion 3 min ago
- 2 injured in NJ Turnpike crash in Mt. Laurel
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspects
- Pa. woman born at Burger King seeks birth mom
- Cabbie allegedly locks doors in credit card dispute
- Vietnam vet's therapy dog missing in Lehigh Valley
- Photos: 7 recent child porn arrests in Pa.and Del.
- Video: Camden H.S. wrestler wins state championship
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp....
3 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos