Crosswalk lights installed on Roosevelt Blvd.
PHILADELPHIA - September 7, 2012 (WPVI) -- New crosswalk lights have been installed on the Roosevelt Boulevard in Philadelphia, one of the most heavily traveled, and most dangerous, highways in the Delaware Valley.
Those five mid-block traffic lights are in place at crosswalks, which will force drivers to hit the brakes and allow pedestrians to cross.
"They try to run and beat out the cars, but you can't beat a car," said Jeffrey Syen.
It's part of a $2.8 million project to improve safety on the Boulevard. Since the signals were turned on Thursday, nearby security guard John Beattie says he has already seen a difference.
"I think it was a real good move. Something should've been done years ago," Beattie said. "It's scary for the people that live here. There are a lot of older people that live here and they were scared to cross the street before lights were put in because it's dangerous."
78-year-old Hilga Marren, who uses a walker to help her home from the bus stop, calls the signals 'lifesavers.'
"I've been one of the victims. I don't have a car, don't drive a car. I depend on friends or a bus," Marren said.
Syen says he thinks the mid-block signals are a step towards safety, but he'd feel more comfortable crossing the block along a pedestrian bridge.
"It's safe. You can't get hit by a car by walking on a bridge. I think it might be better but more expensive I'm sure," Syen said.
Just last week, 43-year-old Michael Romano was killed while trying to cross the outer lanes of the Boulevard with his 5-year-old son. Romano was struck and killed by a car just after he pushed his son to safety.
philadelphia, local/state, jennifer joyce
- $6M counterfeit check ring busted in Phila.
- Winter Warm Up 3 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Neighbor alerts showering woman of fire in home
- Couple files suit over Lower Twp. blast 36 min ago
- Man robbed at gunpoint in North Philadelphia
- Derailed train car blocks road in South Coatesville 31 min ago
- Arrest in stabbing of elderly man in Egg Harbor
- Arrest in deadly June shooting in West Philadelphia 38 min ago
- 2 million-dollar tickets sold in NJ, 1 in Del. 40 min ago
- Guide dog saves blind man after subway track fall
- Girl kidnapped, freed in Reading; suspect at large
- Tourist distracted by Facebook falls off pier
- Winter Warm Up
3 min ago
- Schools, daycares introduce yoga for kids
12 min ago
- Couple files suit over Lower Twp. blast
36 min ago
- Higher blood pressure threshold OK in older...
30 min ago