Viewing held for 6-year-old killed in Camden
CAMDEN, N.J. - September 7, 2012 (WPVI) -- It was an excruciatingly painful start to a weekend of mourning for a Camden, New Jersey family.
A viewing was held for the 6-year-old boy who was killed last Sunday when a man slashed his throat. The funeral will be held on Saturday.
The small casket was carried into Saint Cecilia Catholic Church in Pennsauken Friday night.
"I can't even explain how we're feeling or how the mother is feeling or how the father is feeling. It's painful," said family member Michael Lugo.
Action News has elected not to identify the child's name or that of his sister.
Police say Osvaldo Rivera broke into a Ware Street home Sunday morning and raped his 12-year-old sister while high on drugs.
The throats of the children were slashed, but the girl survived because her brother stepped in.
"When you see him, you see hope and you see the lifestyle of someone who had a chance out here to do better," said Stanley Terry.
Loved ones who wore pictures of the boy on their shirts wanted to thank the community for their support.
A fund has been set up at PNC Bank on Mount Ephraim Avenue in Camden.
Educators from the victim's school brought messages from his 1st grade class to let his family know he will never be forgotten.
"He is what every student means - promise, a gift, that any young child can bring to any community," said Dr. Antoinette Dendtler, ECO Charter School Principal.
Final messages to the little boy could be seen on cars across the parking lot outside the church.
Funeral services will be held Saturday morning.
child death, homicide, camden, new jersey, local/state, kenneth moton
- Chestnut Hill College student found dead 24 min ago
- Lots of sun, chilly today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Minivan, car collide head-on in Paoli 19 min ago
- Violent Chester police confrontation caught on video
- Lockdown lifted at Pennsbury High School
- Elderly woman hurt in East Windsor apartment fire 35 min ago
- Multiple arrests after fight in bar parking lot
- 19-year-old struck, killed in Bordentown ID'd
- 292 missing, 4 dead in South Korea ferry disaster
- Chaka Fattah Jr. files $10 million federal lawsuit
- Free coffee as Wawa celebrates 50th
- Video: Boy gets stuck in claw arcade game
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos