Suspect shot in the head by Phila. police
HUNTING PARK - September 9, 2012 (WPVI) -- Philadelphia police were forced to shoot a man in the head after the suspect allegedly pointed his gun at officers in Hunting Park.
It all began around 4:45 Sunday morning near the 4100 block of North 9th Street.
Police in the 25th District were responding to a radio call for a robbery in progress on the 100 block of Clearfield Street.
When they arrived on scene, a 52-year-old male said he was just robbed at gunpoint by two suspects who then fled in a white Buick Century.
Another officer sees a vehicle matching the description and a pursuit begins on Whitacker Avenue.
The suspects' vehicle couldn't make a turn in the area of Hunting Park Avenue so the car stops in a grassy area of the park instead.
Both men later identified as Edwin Rodriguez - the driver and Daniel Rubio - the passenger, got out of the car and fled.
A foot pursuit ensues and as an officer catches up, police say Rubio pointed his revolved towards them.
An officer discharges his weapon striking Rubio in the head. As he falls to the ground police say a .38 caliber revolver is found at the scene.
Another officer apprehended Rodriguez nearby. Both men were identified by the robbery victim as the right suspects.
Rubio was taken to Albert Einstein Hospital in critical condition. He faces a number of charges including robbery and assault on a police officer.
philadelphia, hunting park, police, shooting, local/state
- Photos: Maps of Monday's expected snow
- Snow likely Sunday into Monday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Students evacuated in Camden H.S. gas leak
- 3 injured in 2-alarm fire in Holmesburg 58 min ago
- Family displaced in Wilmington house fire
- Runway reopens after failed takeoff at PHL 25 min ago
- Missing plane: Piracy theory gains more credence 10 min ago
- SEPTA union agrees to keep working 5 min ago
- Police investigate death of toddler at Del. daycare
- Teen father arrested for biting nose off infant
- 5 arrested after Logan murder, standoff
- Video: Pastor collapses, dies, after admitting...
- SEPTA union agrees to keep working
5 min ago
- Runway reopens after failed takeoff at PHL
25 min ago