Prosecutors ID man killed in senior community fire
BERKELEY TOWNSHIP, N.J. - September 9, 2012 (WPVI) -- Prosecutors have identified a man who died when a fast-moving fire destroyed his home in a southern New Jersey retirement community.
But the cause of the blaze at the Holiday City development in Berkeley Township remains under investigation.
Michael Paulhus, Ocean County's executive assistant prosecutor, says 70-year-old Joseph Lasko died from injuries he suffered in the blaze that began around 4 a.m. Saturday. It was brought under control about an hour later.
Lasko lived alone in the home, and neighbors reported hearing a loud noise just before the house was engulfed in flames.
One firefighter was taken to a hospital for treatment of minor injuries, but no other community residents were injured in the fire.
ocean county, new jersey, fire, local/state
- Center City rape victims speaks to Action News 6 min ago
- Periods of rain today, getting cooler
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Nelson Mandela dies at age 95
- Photos: Nelson Mandela: Through the years
- Restaurant owner slashes robber with sushi knife
- 2 women hospitalized after Schuylkill Expy. crash 11 min ago
- Mattress catches fire in townhouse in Whitemarsh 25 min ago
- Police raid alleged chop shop in North Philadelphia
- Feds accused of targeting minorities in stash house stings 14 min ago
- Surveillance video shows Christmas package theft 18 min ago
- Photos: 21 suspects ID'd in Collingdale drug sweep
- Police: Teen stole Porsche part from Paul Walker crash 25 min ago
- 2 women hospitalized after Schuylkill Expy....
11 min ago