Prosecutors ID man killed in senior community fire
BERKELEY TOWNSHIP, N.J. - September 9, 2012 (WPVI) -- Prosecutors have identified a man who died when a fast-moving fire destroyed his home in a southern New Jersey retirement community.
But the cause of the blaze at the Holiday City development in Berkeley Township remains under investigation.
Michael Paulhus, Ocean County's executive assistant prosecutor, says 70-year-old Joseph Lasko died from injuries he suffered in the blaze that began around 4 a.m. Saturday. It was brought under control about an hour later.
Lasko lived alone in the home, and neighbors reported hearing a loud noise just before the house was engulfed in flames.
One firefighter was taken to a hospital for treatment of minor injuries, but no other community residents were injured in the fire.
ocean county, new jersey, fire, local/state
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera
- Slightly Cooler Sunday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Off-duty cop shoots man during fight
- Police: Deadly shooting at after-hours bar
- PSU trustee resigns, regrets Paterno vote
- Mom of Tasered teen arrested for shoplifting
- Jet crash: Oil slicks found; Passports stolen
- Woman trapped after crashing SUV in Darby Boro
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- Actress Sheila MacRae of 'Honeymooners' dies at 92
- 2 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ