Police: Woman stabbed teenage son in Frankford
FRANKFORD - September 11, 2012 (WPVI) -- Police say a mother stabbed her teenage son Tuesday morning in the Frankford section of Philadelphia.
It happened around 7:30 this morning on the 1200 block of Pratt Street just as the kids were getting ready for school. A trail of blood now leads from the victim's house across the street to a house where his friend lives. That's where he collapsed on the living room floor.
Jean Montgomery was at work when her 14-year-old son called. He was in a panic telling her that his 16-year-old friend Manny had been stabbed and was in their house.
Jean tells us, "He had multiple wounds. [My son] was just trying to stay with him and be with him because he was bleeding badly."
Police say the boy had been stabbed by his mother and then stumbled across the street to get help. He was rushed to the hospital where he is listed in serious condition with multiple stab wounds.
The victim's mother is under arrest.
Neighbors say they heard screams coming from the house this morning.
Carrie Calhoun, who lives nearby, explains what she heard this morning, saying, "Like somebody screaming and arguing like somebody in rage, screaming to the top of their voice. Like, 'Get off me. I'm gonna kill you. I'm gonna kill you.' You know. And that's all we heard."
Calhoun says when she went outside she saw the trail of blood and saw a swarm of police officers. She says it's not surprising. The police have been called to her neighbor's house numerous times to break up fights between the mother and son.
"This happens so much that you just get to the point where you don't pay it no mind. But you never think something like this would happen," said Calhoun.
Action News spoke with the boy's aunt and she says the family had been trying to get him psychiatric help because of violent outbursts, but they have had no success. The mother is also under treatment for cancer, so this is a terrible family tragedy.
The police, in the meantime, continue their investigation. It is unclear whether or not any charges will be filed. At this point they are thinking this may have been a case of self defense.
frankford, stabbing, philadelphia, local/state
- Standoff leaves 1 dead, several in custody 5 min ago
- AccuWeather: Very warm today, very cold tonight 13 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2 men shot inside Feltonville bar 6 min ago
- Triple shooting leaves 1 dead in West Oak Lane 52 min ago
- 3 hit by car inside Famous Footwear in Chesco
- Deadly shooting near La Salle University
- Police: Woman, 21, stabbed grandfather to death
- Cat found hanging from fence in Germantown
- Pedestrian struck in North Philadelphia
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's death
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm
- Photos: Philly's unsolved missing child cases
- 2 men shot inside Feltonville bar
6 min ago
- Standoff leaves 1 dead, several in custody
5 min ago