Big pothole jams traffic on Pa. Turnpike NE Extension (PHOTOS)
WHITPAIN TWP., Pa. - September 11, 2012 (WPVI) -- A large pothole is causing traffic trouble for motorists on the Northeast Extension of the Pennsylvania Turnpike.
Turnpike officials tell Action News the pothole, measuring about 4-feet wide by 4-feet across, opened up around 7:30 a.m. Tuesday.
The hole was located in a bridge deck where the turnpike crosses over North Wales Road at mile marker 24.8 southbound. That's about 4 miles north of the Mid-County tolls.
A contractor was on the scene making repairs. The left lane was closed, and traffic was getting by in a single lane past the repair site.
The backup was reported to be 8 to 10 miles long.
Motorists have been advised to avoid the area.
Turnpike officials say they hope to have both lanes back open by the Tuesday afternoon rush hour.
pennsylvania, travel, pa turnpike, local/state
- Multi-vehicle crash on Schuylkill Expressway 28 min ago
- Warmer Weekend
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- 1 dead, 1 wounded in Overbrook shooting 17 min ago
- Arrest in death of retired Villanova professor 47 min ago
- Runway littered with holiday mail
- Student robbed at gunpoint inside Philly school
- Missing 2-year-old found, mom's ex-boyfriend arrested
- Carolers to perform to grant cancer patient her wish 51 min ago
- Pa. Turnpike reopens after multi-vehicle crash
- Fmr. Montco GOP chairman to stand trial for rape
- Free diner for sale in Lawrence Twp., NJ
- Dealer charged with selling Sandy damaged cars