Big pothole jams traffic on Pa. Turnpike NE Extension (PHOTOS)
WHITPAIN TWP., Pa. - September 11, 2012 (WPVI) -- A large pothole is causing traffic trouble for motorists on the Northeast Extension of the Pennsylvania Turnpike.
Turnpike officials tell Action News the pothole, measuring about 4-feet wide by 4-feet across, opened up around 7:30 a.m. Tuesday.
The hole was located in a bridge deck where the turnpike crosses over North Wales Road at mile marker 24.8 southbound. That's about 4 miles north of the Mid-County tolls.
A contractor was on the scene making repairs. The left lane was closed, and traffic was getting by in a single lane past the repair site.
The backup was reported to be 8 to 10 miles long.
Motorists have been advised to avoid the area.
Turnpike officials say they hope to have both lanes back open by the Tuesday afternoon rush hour.
pennsylvania, travel, pa turnpike, local/state
- Police: Deadly shooting at after-hours bar 37 min ago
- Finally, a nice weekend!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- PSU trustee resigns, regrets Paterno vote
- Mom of Tasered teen arrested for shoplifting
- Jet crash: Oil slicks found; Passports stolen 18 min ago
- Woman trapped after crashing SUV in Darby Boro
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- Pedestrian ID'd in fatal Collingdale hit-and-run
- Actress Sheila MacRae of 'Honeymooners' dies at 92
- 2 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- West Philadelphia body ID'd as missing woman
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Jet crash: Oil slicks found; Passports stolen
18 min ago
- Police: Deadly shooting at after-hours bar
37 min ago