Big pothole jams traffic on Pa. Turnpike NE Extension (PHOTOS)
WHITPAIN TWP., Pa. - September 11, 2012 (WPVI) -- A large pothole is causing traffic trouble for motorists on the Northeast Extension of the Pennsylvania Turnpike.
Turnpike officials tell Action News the pothole, measuring about 4-feet wide by 4-feet across, opened up around 7:30 a.m. Tuesday.
The hole was located in a bridge deck where the turnpike crosses over North Wales Road at mile marker 24.8 southbound. That's about 4 miles north of the Mid-County tolls.
A contractor was on the scene making repairs. The left lane was closed, and traffic was getting by in a single lane past the repair site.
The backup was reported to be 8 to 10 miles long.
Motorists have been advised to avoid the area.
Turnpike officials say they hope to have both lanes back open by the Tuesday afternoon rush hour.
pennsylvania, travel, pa turnpike, local/state
- Elderly couple's life savings stolen in Media 2 min ago
- Winter Warm Up 57 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- $6M counterfeit check ring busted in Phila. 59 min ago
- Neighbor alerts showering woman of fire in home
- Purse snatcher caught on camera in Montco
- Couple files suit over Lower Twp. blast
- Arrest in stabbing of elderly man in Egg Harbor
- 2 million-dollar tickets sold in NJ, 1 in Del.
- Guide dog saves blind man after subway track fall
- Impact of Sunoco HQ, Citibank leaving Philly
- Video: Soldier returning from Afghanistan... 48 min ago
- Photos: Most fascinating people of 2013 7 min ago
- Elderly couple's life savings stolen in Media
2 min ago
- Soldier returning from Afghanistan...
48 min ago