DeSean Jackson honors Wounded Warriors at Ft. Dix
FORT DIX, N.J. - September 11, 2012 (WPVI) -- Eagles Wide Receiver DeSean Jackson chose the 11th anniversary of the 9/11 attacks to honor some of our brave men and women.
He visited the wounded at Fort Dix and thanked them for their sacrifice.
Jackson also supported the organization that helps veterans when they come home from the battlefield.
The sports star visits troops who are home recovering from injuries sustained on the front lines of Iraq and Afghanistan. Jackson mixed and mingled with those true heroes during recreational activities available to them now that they are state side healing.
But DeSean brought more than hugs and handshakes to the Wounded Warrior Center at Fort Dix. He donated $50,000 for the nationwide project that provides special services for physically and psychologically injured soldiers and their families.
"It is the age group of our men and women that are being injured as we speak and are recovering from injuries now that he is catering to, so we have nothing but the utmost respect and gratitude to DeSean Jackson and the Philadelphia Eagles," said Owen O'Shea.
"It's something to know that we are still appreciated out there by the civilian world," said Sgt. Eric Heisler. "Little stuff like this, I mean the man just came in a drop $50,000 check; that's huge!"
DeSean Jackson told Action News the inspiration for this kind of giving comes from long conversations with an older cousin, a two-time Purple Heart and Bronze Star winner from the Vietnam War.
"Just spending time with him and just kind of picking his brains, just really seeing how the Vietnam War kind of affected his past life, that's what is great about him," Jackson said.
At this critical time in their lives, the soldiers watch DeSean's on the gridiron and admire his talent.
He came to Fort Dix to show them that he deeply appreciates their skills and sacrifices for the nation.
desean jackson, veterans, fort dix, new jersey, local/state, vernon odom
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera
- Slightly Cooler Sunday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Off-duty cop shoots man during fight 55 min ago
- Police: Deadly shooting at after-hours bar
- PSU trustee resigns, regrets Paterno vote
- Mom of Tasered teen arrested for shoplifting
- Jet crash: Oil slicks found; Passports stolen
- Woman trapped after crashing SUV in Darby Boro
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- Actress Sheila MacRae of 'Honeymooners' dies at 92
- 2 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ